Using a Temporary Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avidius

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
My dad asked me today if there was any way I could help him to save my step-mother's photos onto another hard drive from his computer. He just wanted to get a 1tb hard drive to put the pictures on. We looked inside his computer and there wasn't really room for more than one hard drive. So my question is: could I hook up a new one, get the pictures moved onto there without it being IN the computer, and then unhook everything from it? Also, do photos really need anything important from a hard drive? Would something like this work?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/458234/Barracuda_Green_1TB_5,900_RPM_SATA_II_3Gb-s_35_Internal_Hard_Drive_Factory_Recertified_-_ST1000DL002

Also, I think external hard drives are more than he really wanted to spend.

Solution
I don't think you need a 1TB drive unless there is a SERIOUS amount of photos in the directory (just because it says it is a 1TB drive does NOT mean you have 1TB of photos). I would right click the FOLDER that has all the pictures, select PROPERTIES, this will tell you how much data for photos is being used. Commonly you would need nothing more than a 32Gb or 64GB THUMB DRIVE from Walmart, Office Depot, etc. IF you wish to get a 1TB Ext Drive (plenty of those), that is another choice, but way overkill.

How do you get them on the thumb drive / external drive? RIGHT CLICK the folder with the photos, select COPY. Now find the thumbdrive / ext drive lettered drive (like D, E, F, etc.) RIGHT CLICK the drive, and select PASTE. It will take...
I don't think you need a 1TB drive unless there is a SERIOUS amount of photos in the directory (just because it says it is a 1TB drive does NOT mean you have 1TB of photos). I would right click the FOLDER that has all the pictures, select PROPERTIES, this will tell you how much data for photos is being used. Commonly you would need nothing more than a 32Gb or 64GB THUMB DRIVE from Walmart, Office Depot, etc. IF you wish to get a 1TB Ext Drive (plenty of those), that is another choice, but way overkill.

How do you get them on the thumb drive / external drive? RIGHT CLICK the folder with the photos, select COPY. Now find the thumbdrive / ext drive lettered drive (like D, E, F, etc.) RIGHT CLICK the drive, and select PASTE. It will take some time and your done.

WORD OF WARNING: MAKE A SECOND BACKUP to another ThumbDrive because if you have those photos only on ONE drive, and something happens (oops I lost it! Oops I stepped on it! Oops I dropped it in Grandma's teeth glass!!!) then your SOL.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.