[SOLVED] using a vga monitor

xJesserX

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
hey , i was planning to buy a 1080p 165 hz monitor and make a new build,but sadly something happened and with my current budget i can only buy the pc without the monitor.
my question is do i buy the pc now ( rtx 2060 super ) and use an old vga monitor ( 1400*900 60 hz )with adapter and use 1080 custom resolution on it ( was doing this with my old pc with a gt 730 for 2 years and it was fine ) or do i wait until i collect the rest of the money and buy both .

Solution
A 2060 Super is pretty overkill for that resolution, so I'd consider how long it'll be before you're likely to be able to buy your desired monitor.

If you're only looking at a few weeks to a month or so, then I'd go for the system now & add the monitor soon.
If you're looking at months before you'll be able to buy the monitor, I'd probably forgo the new GPU at the moment and get by with what you have (whether you build the rest of the system or not is up to you).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A 2060 Super is pretty overkill for that resolution, so I'd consider how long it'll be before you're likely to be able to buy your desired monitor.

If you're only looking at a few weeks to a month or so, then I'd go for the system now & add the monitor soon.
If you're looking at months before you'll be able to buy the monitor, I'd probably forgo the new GPU at the moment and get by with what you have (whether you build the rest of the system or not is up to you).

Solution

Cameron231099

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2014
Seconded on the guy above, get the 2060 now and a new monitor later or get a second hand GTX 1080 for next to nothing and a new monitor at the same time.

As long as you don't keep using the monitor you have now :langue: