Using a VPN on PS4 over student accommodation WiFi?

Timbo-Baggins

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
Hi all,

Apologies if consoles are not discussed here! My girlfriend has a brain tickler that I'm unable to solve. She is attempting to activate a VPN on her PlayStation 4 (Netflix).
The problem presented is that this typically involves, as far as I know, some co-operation from the router (perhaps a reset after installation or 'setting it up' to run VPNs). In her student accommodation, she of course has no access to said router. We are working with the MacBook Pro and a wireless connection, are we doomed to fail/doing I wrong?

Thanks in advance, Tim

Solution
You should not need access to the router if you use OPENVPN. It appears as a https session mostly. Other forms of vpn based on things like ipsec many times do require changes on the router.

I know nothing about vpn on playstation, didn't even know you could do that. The problem with vpn is stuff like netflix feels you are using the vpn to get around country/location restrictions and pretty much blocks all the better know VPN providers. They also block a lot of the smaller hosting companies so that prevents you from running your own vpn server.

Not sure why you do not just run netflix directly. If they are blocking netflix for some reason they like block vpn also.
You should not need access to the router if you use OPENVPN. It appears as a https session mostly. Other forms of vpn based on things like ipsec many times do require changes on the router.

I know nothing about vpn on playstation, didn't even know you could do that. The problem with vpn is stuff like netflix feels you are using the vpn to get around country/location restrictions and pretty much blocks all the better know VPN providers. They also block a lot of the smaller hosting companies so that prevents you from running your own vpn server.

Not sure why you do not just run netflix directly. If they are blocking netflix for some reason they like block vpn also.

Solution

Timbo-Baggins

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
Sorry, forgot to specify she wants the American Netflix. I tried to convince her that Netflix are quite actively anti-VPN but she insists hers works. I will give this openvpn business a go and hope for the best. Thank you guys, much appreciated!