Using a Windows 7 Pro key to upgrade Home Premium - Does it free up the HP License?

TheeNickCarlson

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
Hi guys, my first post here.

Bought a Latitude e6420 (for 100 bucks, screaming fricken deal), and it comes with Win 7 Pro as we all know. I have Home Premium on my home pc and I'm looking to remote into it using RDP from work, so my question is: will anytime upgrade free up my home premium license when I use a full Windows 7 Pro key? This way I can throw the home premium license on the laptop.

side note: ran out of dvds to burn pro with and my home premium install is rather fresh, so don't say "just do a clean install!".

I am good with doing the .vbs cmd lines for playing with product keys and have gone through the MS Activation calls hundreds of times.

I'll probably just try it anyways, but some heads up is good.

Thanks,

Nick

Solution
no. Using the Upgrade on your home pc ties both keys to that system. You'll want the full retail of W7pro. But the HP's key will still be tied to the HP. OEM keys are not transferable once installed.

TheeNickCarlson

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015

Laptop will be mainly use to for remote work on other pc's, so Home Premium is more than fine. But damn, looks like a fresh install it is!