Using adsl router as ap for nbn?

Darkn3ss

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017
Sorry for the title. Not sure how to explain it. Im on an nbn network using a service provided huawei hg659 vdsl/adsl2 modem/router and want to boost my wifi signal as its pretty weak. I have 2 spare adsl2 modem routers doing nothing and wanted to know if they can be used as repeaters? Any help would be great

Solution
Brand has nothing to do with these type of function they are all based on standards every router follows. To run as a wireless repeater both devices must support WDS. This function is likely not on your dsl routers. But it again depends do you really want a AP or do you want a wireless repeater, the AP you can do the wireless repeater I suspect you can not
Pretty much any router can be used as a AP. It is actually pretty easy and there are guides everywhere. You pretty much cable using the lan ports,disable the dhcp server, assign a non conflicting lan ip.

Be aware a AP is not what most people call a repeater. Technically I guess it repeats the signal from ethernet to wireless but most time repeater means wireless-wireless which a common router can not do.

Darkn3ss

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017
Yous may have misinterpreted what i was asking. I have an nbn wireless modem/router connecting to my phones etc and and lan connected to my pc. I have 2 spare modem/routers but they are only adsl2 not nbn. So what i wanted to know is if they can repeat the wireless signal from a nbn router or do they need to be nbn routers aswell?

Brand has nothing to do with these type of function they are all based on standards every router follows. To run as a wireless repeater both devices must support WDS. This function is likely not on your dsl routers. But it again depends do you really want a AP or do you want a wireless repeater, the AP you can do the wireless repeater I suspect you can not

Solution