[SOLVED] Using an 8 pin for the 4 pin CPU power.

Mar 29, 2020
Hello guys and girls,

Can you use an 8 pin power connector for the 4 pin cpu power? (Leaving the other 4 on the side not plugged in) or do you need a 8 pin (4+4) cable (Which I will need to go buy). Obv would like to boot this baby up today if using the first method is safe.

Thanks in adv!
Ash

Solution
Hello guys and girls,

Can you use an 8 pin power connector for the 4 pin cpu power? (Leaving the other 4 on the side not plugged in) or do you need a 8 pin (4+4) cable (Which I will need to go buy). Obv would like to boot this baby up today if using the first method is safe.

Thanks in adv!
Ash
Yes, you can use an 8 pin CPU power connector in a 4 pin CPU power socket if there is no obstruction for the four unused pins. The 4 and 8 pin have all 12V on one side and all ground on the other and both latch the same direction with the 12V towards the latch side. I've done it many times and it has no potential for damage.

edit: just DO NOT confuse PCIe video power with CPU power connectors.

RealBeast

Titan
Hello guys and girls,

Thanks in adv!
Ash
Yes, you can use an 8 pin CPU power connector in a 4 pin CPU power socket if there is no obstruction for the four unused pins. The 4 and 8 pin have all 12V on one side and all ground on the other and both latch the same direction with the 12V towards the latch side. I've done it many times and it has no potential for damage.

edit: just DO NOT confuse PCIe video power with CPU power connectors.

Solution

RealBeast

Titan
If the power output on all 8 pins is the same it should work fine no?
It is not the same on all 8 -- four are 12V and four are ground. But they are analogous to the four pin with two 12V and 2 ground -- both having the power on the latch side. So yes, in that sense they are the same.

PCIe power on the other hand has power pins where the ground would be so those are not interchangeable.

Reactions: Aspacehuk
Good news everyone, it booted up fine. Special thanks to [B]RealBeast[/B] for your knowledge on power, jeremyj_83 for your observation about the PSU (Didn't realise how old it was) and DSzymborski thanks for the schooling on the PCI vs CPU 8 pin power. I will go ahead and buy a new psu for the future. (y)
You're welcome. Let us know if you want any recommendations on quality PSUs.