Using an APU and RX 460 concurrently

budgetisok

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
Hi all, I'm new here and have a question that might cause some heads to be scratched.

So I've been using my A10 6800k for a couple years now. I purchased a Gigabyte RX 460 a year and some months ago, but eventually found out that Wattman was crashing all of my games.

Later on, I reinstalled the video card without Wattman, and it worked for most of my games, except Warframe. The games that were just fine were World of Warships, EVE, World of Tanks, Red Faction: Guerrilla, and Planetside 2. Warframe still crashed with the RX 460.

That being said, would I be able to run a dual screen setup, with Warframe being run off my APU, and the other games being run off the 460?

If it matters, I'm running Windows 7 with -

Gigabyte GA-F2A66M-HD2 mobo
2x4 GB 1600mhz RAM
AMD A10 6800k APU not overclocked
120 GB PNY solid state with Windows and World of Warships on it
2 TB WDC 7800 RPM hard drive with EVE, World of Tanks, Red Faction, Planetside 2, and Warframe (nevermind music, etc)
400 watt Solid Gear PSU

The RX 460 is 2 GB and uses power from the mobo.

So, would I be able to concurrently run two screens with two different video sources?

Thanks guys.

I never recommend people use bizarre setups to avoid solving problems. The issue seems to be Warframe and the 460. Did you uninstall all the previous AMD videocard related drivers then install new ones? Did you try reinstalling Warframe itself? What about the power supply? I've never heard of Solid Gear, so that makes it a questionable component in my eyes.

budgetisok

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

The PSU is Solid Gear Proton series. I haven't had any power problems, even though it's only 400 watts. My system doesn't require a lot.

I used DDU to forcibly remove the video drivers and reinstalled them from AMD's site, using both the autodetect and manual choice options. I also chose not to install Wattman, as that was the original source of the problems. I also tried reinstalling Warframe to no avail.

I can reinstall the 460 and drivers sans Wattman, then uninstall and reinstall Warframe to see if that works.

Hypothetical: let's say it does work. What then would be the best choice for video out for two screens? DVI or Display Port? There's no VGA on the card.