Using an existing ethernet jack with DSL

sleupold

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
Hello,
I need a wired connection for my computer, which is upstairs, to the DSL modem, which is downstairs. It appears the house is already wired with CAT 5e to some extent (photo of the jack upstairs in my office). At first I thought maybe the existing wiring would help, but when I just plug my computer directly into that jack Windows displays the following (screenshot). I'm not sure how the wiring in the house works or where the jack in my office terminates. Unfortunately I don't have the wiring diagram for the house or anything like that.
Is it at all possible for me to use this upstairs jack with my existing internet connection and DSL modem downstairs? I know I could run a really long ethernet cable downstairs and connect directly to the modem, but that's not the solution I'm looking for.
My ISP said that I'd have to open up a second internet connection and put a second modem upstairs. This is not an ideal solution.
My current solution that I'm considering will involve installing a jack in the wall behind the DSL modem, running a CAT 5 line upstairs through the wall (if possible) and then installing a new jack upstairs and connecting that way. I feel like this is the best long term solution, but it also seems that their must be an easier way.

I've searched around a fair bit and I'm not sure that I've found any answers from people in my situation.

Thanks in advance.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Somewhere in your home is (or was) a router, located at the place where all the Cat5 outlets in your home originate from. Ideally, you would connect from the phone line near that location to your DSL Modem/Router and then connect all the pre-wired rooms to the router.

-Wolf sends

In most cases ethernet jacks all run back to a central location in the house. Many times it is in a cabinet in a closet or the garage. If you can find this it will give you many more options to use the existing wires.

Now what someone may have done is exactly what you are proposing. They ran a wire between 2 location and put wall jacks in. It solves the problem for you but is not much use for anything else unless you happened to need to connect those 2 rooms.

sleupold

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015

That's what I thought. When I was first Googling around for solutions I kept coming across people talking about "telecom closets" where all the wiring would go, but I haven't been able to locate such a place in my house.
Photos of modem #1 #2 #3
Photo of where it plugs in

I'm not sure if those photos help, but that's what the modem/router combo plugs into.

sleupold

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015

I'm not sure where the Ethernet jack in my office terminates. I was looking around for a location that would make sense for all the outlets to terminate, but I couldn't find one. I've only found other outlets for Ethernet and phone lines in a few areas around the house.The modem(maybe I should be calling it a router?) isn't connected to an Ethernet jack like the one in my office.
Photos of modem #1 #2 #3
As you can see we don't actually use the DSL phone jack on the modem only the WAN which connects to a device on the wall that you can see below.
Photo of where the modem plugs in
The phone line coming out of here connects to the landline phone which is near the modem.
I'm not sure if that answered your questions.