Using an External Hard Drive as an Internal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyxevvie

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
I saw a similar post on a thread below, but my question is different in one key way:

I was wondering if it is possible for me to use an external hard drive (Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex) as a spare internal hard drive. It is approximately the same size as a Western Digital PassPort drive, for those who are unfamiliar with the drive. It is smaller than a typical external hard drive, so I was wondering if it was possible.

Is has an eSATA connector, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any help you may offer,

~Nyx

Solution
YEASH matey! thas the question/answer we needed to know too :) so you're all set, just make sure you don't need a mini sata converter - but thas easy to find on newegg
Nyxevvie

You can make the drive into an internal by removing the hard drive from the external casing, which makes it a bare drive, and installing it in the case. Don't install an external housing inside your case.

Are you done using the external device and looking for a better alternative than throwing it in the trash? Or why do you want to do this? If I understood what you are trying to accomplish, I could give a better answer.

nyxevvie

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Whoops...

I included the 'why' on another forum i posted on but happened to forget to do so here.

Im currently trying to put together a build for a new computer. My hopes were to include both a SSD and a traditional 7200rpm data drive, but my budget does not allow for this at the moment. In doing this, i could purchase the SSD now and get the 7200rpm data drive later.

Lutfij

Titan
the prices of HDD's are yet high, true - and it'll be this way until Q1 2013 or so as analysts see it to mark up prices.

if you don't need much capacity and trade off for speed, the SSD is the route to go. need mroe capacity+ speed - HDD's the route. If you have a Z68 mobo, maybe do SSD caching.

ntini21

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

hey lutfij
can i connect this hard drive on internal convectional SATA ports (2 cables one for power and data) by removing the usb adapter.
(http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/uk-electronics/product_content/seagate/goflex/goflex_usb3.0cable.gif)

-internal sata ports of hard disk (http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/seagate_goflex_review_05.jpg)

Status
Not open for further replies.