Using an iMac G3 as a TV.

askeen8796

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
DIY Question, not even sure if this is allowed here. Basically, I have an old iMac G3, tray loader. I want to be able to play my Nintendo 64 on it since it looks better on CRTs, and I think the G3 case looks really cool. I know that natively these computers don't have video inputs. Would it be possible to put a crt from an actual tv inside the case or are the screens an Apple-specific size?

Solution
Sure if you find the right size screen and can fabricate mounts. It would be a lot of work. You may even be able to use the iMac speakers.

If you want something Apple and easier. Many of the old Apple II color displays had RCA inputs. I remember way back in the day. I would plug my buddies NES into the color monitor for his Apple IIe. I think the screens going from the II to IIgs had RCA inputs.

I suppose you could also use a 90's Apple CRT. Using a Composite to VGA adapter then a VGA to DB-15 adapter. The tough part is finding a HD-15(male) to DB-15(female). Since all the adapters seem to be the reverse. They are made for connecting an old Mac to VGA not a VGA card to an old Apple display. They must have made such things...
Sure if you find the right size screen and can fabricate mounts. It would be a lot of work. You may even be able to use the iMac speakers.

If you want something Apple and easier. Many of the old Apple II color displays had RCA inputs. I remember way back in the day. I would plug my buddies NES into the color monitor for his Apple IIe. I think the screens going from the II to IIgs had RCA inputs.

I suppose you could also use a 90's Apple CRT. Using a Composite to VGA adapter then a VGA to DB-15 adapter. The tough part is finding a HD-15(male) to DB-15(female). Since all the adapters seem to be the reverse. They are made for connecting an old Mac to VGA not a VGA card to an old Apple display. They must have made such things. Since during the transition to VGA. Many Mac owners would have wanted to use their old monitors. I would have no idea if these adapters could simply be reversed with gender changers on each end. Perhaps the models with DIP switches can. You'd have to research if this chain could even work. That's a lot of adapters.

Solution