[SOLVED] Using AOMEI to transfer hard drive to new PC

Jul 29, 2021
Hi all,

I'm transferring my drives to a new PC and I plan to use AOMEI.
I have built a new PC but will be using my existing SSD, secondary HDD and graphics card.
The instructions for AOMEI state that I should create a backup to install onto the new PC, but I'm wondering if I can save the backup on my secondary HDD, put my drives into the new PC, and install the backup to the SSD from there?

Thanks.

Solution
So do I need to create a backup of my system, install a fresh OS, then install my backup?
No.
That backup is of no use.
As said above, using that would simply be overwriting the fresh install you'll do.

No different than if you hadn't done the fresh install at all.

Going from a 2nd Gen i5 to a 9th Gen i9 is a huge generational change.
Fresh install.

As long as there are no applications installed on that second drive, it is fine to reconnect after you get the OS up and running n the primary drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi all,

I have built a new PC but will be using my existing SSD, secondary HDD and graphics card.
The instructions for AOMEI state that I should create a backup to install onto the new PC, but I'm wondering if I can save the backup on my secondary HDD, put my drives into the new PC, and install the backup to the SSD from there?

Thanks.
Transferring the OS drive, or a clone of it, to a new PC?

Bad idea.

Trying this, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

I've seen all 3. #1 is the least likely to happen.

Your new PC needs a fresh OS install.
What are the parts of old and new?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all,

Thanks.
There is a 50/50 chance that an existing Windows install on that SSD will not function. Changing motherboards is always best to do a clean Windows install.

Jul 29, 2021
Hi USAFRet,

You advised me when I upgraded my daughter's PC in July.
Thankfully, her PC has been absolutely fine. The key worked and it's had no issues.

I've finally got the parts to upgrade from my i5 2400 PC.
I'm moving from a cheap £200 eBay "gaming" PC with a 2nd Gen i5 to an i9 9900KF build with an MSI Z390 mobo and 32GB of RAM.
I'm keeping my GTX 750 Ti GPU for now and my existing SSD with a secondary HDD.

So do I need to create a backup of my system, install a fresh OS, then install my backup?

Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi USAFRet,

You advised me when I upgraded my daughter's PC in July.
Thankfully, her PC has been absolutely fine. The key worked and it's had no issues.

I've finally got the parts to upgrade from my i5 2400 PC.
I'm moving from a cheap £200 eBay "gaming" PC with a 2nd Gen i5 to an i9 9900KF build with an MSI Z390 mobo and 32GB of RAM.
I'm keeping my GTX 750 Ti GPU for now and my existing SSD with a secondary HDD.

Thanks.
Installing a backup will overwrite a fresh install. If you do a fresh install, as recommended then you would reinstall applications. Your secondary hard drive can be used without changes to allow you to retain data files not related to your OS or applications.

USAFRet

Titan
No.
That backup is of no use.
As said above, using that would simply be overwriting the fresh install you'll do.

No different than if you hadn't done the fresh install at all.

Going from a 2nd Gen i5 to a 9th Gen i9 is a huge generational change.
Fresh install.

As long as there are no applications installed on that second drive, it is fine to reconnect after you get the OS up and running n the primary drive.

Solution
Jul 29, 2021
Hi Kanewolf & USAFRet,

I use OneDrive across my devices so I should just be able to download my files again once I've set it back up.
Can I use the function within Windows to reinstall the OS, and use my original serial to activate it?

Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi Kanewolf & USAFRet,

I use OneDrive across my devices so I should just be able to download my files again once I've set it back up.
Can I use the function within Windows to reinstall the OS, and use my original serial to activate it?

Thanks.
For the activation:
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

(a whole new PC counts as a "hardware change")

For the reinstall, no. You can't do it from within the old OS.
You need to create a WIn 10 USB to boot from and install.

Jul 29, 2021
OK, so I'll need to install a fresh OS.
Before I do that I'll need to create a bootable USB drive with the media creation tool on the old PC and make a note of all the prgrams I want to reinstall.
Then move the SSD to the new PC, go straight into BIOS to select boot device, select the USB drive to install the OS, and format the SSD from there to install the OS.
Once the OS is installed I'll need to reinstall my programs and log into my OneDrive.
Is that right?

Thanks.

Jul 29, 2021
I've got a few empty HDDs from old PCs and laptops so I won't be losing anything.
I'm pretty sure I've got a 40gb one laying around.
I only have SD cards for mobile storage and 3D printers.

All of my passwords are stored in my browser which I can log into once the new OS is installed.
I was hoping this would be an evening job, but I think I'll save it for the weekend.

Thanks both for your help.

Jul 29, 2021
I've fitted the everything expect the drives and GPU.
That's it for now. I'll do the creation tool tomorrow.
After 7 ARGB fans I have a new found hate for cable management.
I've got my logins saved in my Google account, so they sync across all my devices.
They'll import when I sign into Google.

Thanks again for your help.