[SOLVED] Using APU for graphics, but using old GPU just for the VGA port?

djgioxofficial

Prominent
Dec 11, 2021
Hello everyone.

I am building my first PC, parts that I chose are following:

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G + Wraith Stealth cooler
MB : ASUS ROG Strix B450-F II
RAM : G.Skill Aegis 2x8 GB 3200MHz CL16
PSU : LC500H-12

First of all, are my components compatible with each other?

Second, I have an old GT 630 graphics card and a VGA monitor, could I use my APU for graphics, but the old GPU just for the VGA port until I get a better monitor?

Thank you.

Solution
If you only have one monitor, then no. Programs only use the GPU that the monitor is plugged into.
Windows decides what GPU applications will use by default. You can tell Windows whether you want to use the "performance" or "efficiency" graphics on an app-by-app basis by going into the "Graphics settings" page, though applications can also override that.

Works both ways if you can be bothered to manually override Windows' default picks when it screws up and the software you are having issues with GPU-picking on will let you.
If you only have one monitor, then no. Programs only use the GPU that the monitor is plugged into.

If you have another, then there's a workaround where you make the APU's monitor the primary monitor, then find a way to make the application move to the other monitor. Applications that use GPU acceleration tend to default to using whatever GPU has the primary monitor.

Reactions: djgioxofficial

InvalidError

Titan
Windows decides what GPU applications will use by default. You can tell Windows whether you want to use the "performance" or "efficiency" graphics on an app-by-app basis by going into the "Graphics settings" page, though applications can also override that.

Works both ways if you can be bothered to manually override Windows' default picks when it screws up and the software you are having issues with GPU-picking on will let you.

Solution

You know, it might better to reply to OP with how to do this instead of quoting me telling me how to do this.

InvalidError

Titan
You know, it might better to reply to OP with how to do this instead of quoting me telling me how to do this.
I was responding to the part where you wrote that "programs only use the GPU the monitor is plugged into" to point out that it isn't how it works.

OP can still read the post and use the extra info on how to override default behavior.

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hi djgioxofficial

If you wanted to overclock the CPU – you’d need a different version.

What do you want to use your PC for? Need to know that to really get a sense of the fit with the parts you’ve chosen?

If it’s gaming – then you might want to get a high refresh rate monitor eg 144hz or higher? Especially if you like twitch shooters.

BTW you know you can get super cheap VGA adapters right? Or at least back in the day you could?

Could always just use the old GPU to keep it simple for now? Hopefully someone else can tell you if the APU is better or worse than the GPU?

Are you sure either will do the resolution and refresh rates you want? If you’re not fussed about gaming – you could always buy a cheap low level second hand GPU if not. Get a better gaming one later if you want.

That would let you use the APU easily…. And are you sure there aren’t any other HDMI, Display Port etc on the back I/O Plate of the motherboard/PC that you could use as an output from the APU to a monitor?

The other simple solution is to get a second hand monitor for cheap. Loads on the market and quite often perfectly fine as a temporary monitor. Probably guarantee you could get away better screen than your old one for sure – even for like $10-50 if your lucky!

Here’s what your mobo says about m.2 types/speeds/slots…. Are you ok with only PCIE 3… ?

Storage
3rd/2nd/1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors :

1 x M.2_1 socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*

1 x M.2_2 socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*

2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors :

1 x M.2_2 socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 X2 mode)

Total supports 2 x M.2 slot(s) and 6 x SATA 6Gb/s ports

2 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s),

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s),

AMD B450 chipset :

1 x M.2_1 socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)

AMD Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors :

4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s),

Support Raid 0, 1, 10

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-ii-model/spec

Good luck

djgioxofficial

Prominent
Dec 11, 2021
Thank you all, I might just opt to get a HDMI to VGA adapter.

I already got a M.2 NVMe with DRAM cache lined up 256GB, with an SATA SSD 256GB to last me at least until the next paycheck :D

I plan to do some pretty low-mid tier gaming, League of Legends, WOW Shadowlands, GTA 5 and perhaps some COD Warzone, the specs should handle all of these.

I found a RTX 2060 pretty cheap that I might buy if things get dire, plan on keeping settings on low where needed.

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
I might just opt to get a HDMI to VGA adapter.

Before you buy any adapters etc I implore you to check out this video from JayzTwoCents first!
Don't overlook this crucial part of your setup!

I still contend that you would be way better off getting a better secondhand or new monitor - ideally with high refresh rates (eg 144hz/165hz etc) and response time (eg 1-5ms if you can), better colour, better pixel density etc.

I found a RTX 2060 pretty cheap that I might buy if things get dire, plan on keeping settings on low where needed.

I've heard Nvidia's CEO said they expect the next two years to be at least as bad as it is now... so maybe you should look for a great deal starting Christmas day when everyone sells their old gpus!
If it were me - I'd go put up wanted ads online on craigslists etc ready to receive offers.
And on Christmas and the days after - scour the net and be ready to pounce or you will miss out.

That's not a pretty good gpu - but it'd be wasted on an awful ancient monitor.
Even with something cheap and new you'd get sooo much more out of that GPU and have way more fun gaming!

Even if you just spend $20 on a secondhand one at least it wont be VGA - and try to get at least 1080p. Limit your gaming to 1080p and you should get a much better experience with higher settings enabled.

You can also apparently get some pretty killer cheap monitors now days too?

See this video from Linus Tech Tips - they have a few of these...
The CHEAPEST 144Hz Gaming Monitors on Amazon!

I've also heard AOC do some that are pretty decent but only cheaper cause they skip some 'extras' like anti reflection coating etc! So there can be compromises but they may not matter to you.

Could always just wait till the final Christmas sales and get the best monitor you can?
Maybe even ask your family to give you some coin to put towards a good monitor instead of other gifts?

Let us know what you do - be curious to find out!

logainofhades

Titan
Thank you all, I might just opt to get a HDMI to VGA adapter.

I already got a M.2 NVMe with DRAM cache lined up 256GB, with an SATA SSD 256GB to last me at least until the next paycheck :D

I plan to do some pretty low-mid tier gaming, League of Legends, WOW Shadowlands, GTA 5 and perhaps some COD Warzone, the specs should handle all of these.

Shadowlands is more demanding, than you may think. Recommended GPU is a GTX 1080. I would recommend getting said 2060.

InvalidError

Titan
Shadowlands is more demanding, than you may think. Recommended GPU is a GTX 1080. I would recommend getting said 2060.
Shadowlands is pretty much the only game I play on a regular basis and my GTX1050 is able to push 60fps (vsync) perfectly fine in dungeons and raids with most details close to maxed out at 1080p. If I turn vsync off, I often get 80-90fps. The only places I have seen it really struggle is on new expansion and patch Tuesdays when 100+ players are zerging the new world bosses.

An RTX2060 should have little to no problem doing 1080p144 in Shadowlands with practically everything maxed out, except possibly those high-density open-world events.