[SOLVED] Using CL10 1866Mhz RAM with CL11 2133Mhz RAM.

Nov 22, 2019
Hello all,
I'm shopping for an upgrade kit for my Kingston HyperX FURY (Black) DDR3 CL11 2133Mhz 8GB (2*4) RAM kit.
Ideally, I would like to find an identical, brand-new kit that would fit perfectly in my system. However, I've patrolled the internet and have been unsucessful in finding an indentical kit. (Please let me know if you do - UK Seller).

The best I have been able to find is a HyperX FURY (Black) DDR3 CL10 1866Mhz 8GB (2*4) RAM kit online. Would this kit work with my existing set? What are the possible upsides/downsides?

I'm looking to have a total of 16GBs of RAM across 4-Sticks in the end.
My AIDA64 DMI information gives the following Part Number: KHX2133C11D3/4GX (x2)

Thank you anyone who has any information, I cannot wrap my head around all these numbers.
I do apologise in advance if I have midread numbers.
Looking secondly, it might only be 1066Mhz RAM.
EGp8Lvm.png

Last edited:
Solution
Hi all, I got really sick of searching the internet so I dug out my Motherboard Box.
Inside was my RAM Stick's case, turns out they're HX21C11BGK2/8-OC.
Sorry for any confusion I spread (I was really confused myself) - this is my first time really looking into RAM Sizes/Timings/Etc.

Thank you to all that helped.
Honestly, just buy what you can afford or is available to you. You will not notice much difference between DDR3 1600 and 1833 or even 2133. Just try to get at least 1600 CL9 1833 CL10, 2133 CL11 or 2400 CL12. Just be careful with the 2400Mhz kits. A couple months ago I bought a G.Skill 2x8GB 2400 CL11 1.65v kit for $50 that I could only run stable at 2133 CL10 and 1.6v. It may have just been the motherboard I was using...
The downside would be a dead motherboard. DO NOT MIX RAM STICKS, especially with different Clock speeds and CL timings. If you do you will possibly brick your mobo or corrupt your OS. Sometimes people make it work, but those options you chose will not.

Unfortunately I'm not in the UK so I can't fully assist with finding you the same ram or a set of 4. Have you tried calling Kingston? Perhaps they some some stock of their own?

Nov 22, 2019
Thank you very much for the quick advice Newtonius!
I will certainly write to Kingston to inquire about the sale of these specific sticks.
I also appreciate the stern warning (and the consequences) which I will follow as this Motherboard and my Data is very valuable!
Thank you.

You won't brick your motherboard using different ram kits unless you are pumping ridiculous voltage that is out of the advertised specs. If it's rated for 1.6v at 1833mhz but the other is rated for 2133 at 1.65, you set both to 1.6 and 1833 and the timings of the 1833 kit. Mixing ram is not nearly as big a deal as people keep making it out to be. All you need to do is check if they have the same basic specs including density and rank. Set the modules to the specs of the lower speed and higher timing kit if they are different. Obviously not all kits will work together, but if you pay attention to what you are buying, you are more likely to get modules that will work fine together.

You won't brick your motherboard using different ram kits unless you are pumping ridiculous voltage that is out of the advertised specs. If it's rated for 1.6v at 1833mhz but the other is rated for 2133 at 1.65, you set both to 1.6 and 1833 and the timings of the 1833 kit. Mixing ram is not nearly as big a deal as people keep making it out to be. All you need to do is check if they have the same basic specs including density and rank. Set the modules to the specs of the lower speed and higher timing kit if they are different. Obviously not all kits will work together, but if you pay attention to what you are buying, you are more likely to get modules that will work fine together.

You can, it happened to me on my old AM3 board with an FX-8350. 2 different sets of 2x 4GB, different voltages, poof mobo gone. Was s stupid blunder but I was new and inexperienced. And since he's using DDR3, it's a bit more troublesome than mixing DDR4 sticks, which in some cases you can get away with. But even if OP could get away with it, I still wouldn't recommend it. Only play with hardware if you are experimenting, not keeping.

You won't brick your motherboard using different ram kits unless you are pumping ridiculous voltage that is out of the advertised specs. If it's rated for 1.6v at 1833mhz but the other is rated for 2133 at 1.65, you set both to 1.6 and 1833 and the timings of the 1833 kit.

You can, it happened to me on my old AM3 board with an FX-8350. 2 different sets of 2x 4GB, different voltages, poof mobo gone.
I mean... I literally just said what not to do...

Nov 22, 2019
Okay all, thank you for this advice.
It is a significant drop in performance from 2133Mhz to 1866Mhz so I have contacted Kingston enquring in regards to any stock/resellers of the kit I have currently.

If anybody could beat their response times though (closed through the weekend) that would be awesome.

Okay all, thank you for this advice.
It is a significant drop in performance from 2133Mhz to 1866Mhz so I have contacted Kingston enquring in regards to any stock/resellers of the kit I have currently.

If anybody could beat their response times though (closed through the weekend) that would be awesome.
It's really not a big drop in actual performance in games going form 2133 to 1833, you might see at most a 10fps difference in games affected by memory speed. Otherwise, it will only affect load times a bit. Take what you can get if you don't want or can't buy a new platform using DDR4. Most people are still using 1333-1600Mhz for older platforms.

Nov 22, 2019
I found it quite bizzare that my timings were so high considering that it is the DDR3 platform.
XMP is enabled, but that wouldn't effect the Product ID number would it? (Base being 2133Mhz from ID)

I found it quite bizzare that my timings were so high considering that it is the DDR3 platform.
XMP is enabled, but that wouldn't effect the Product ID number would it? (Base being 2133Mhz from ID)
CL11 at 2133 is pretty decent. CL10 would be better, but consider that most high end 1600 kits are 9-9-9-24. CL11 is usually the default speed for cheap 1066/1333 kits. You are not even going to see the difference between CL10 and CL11 at 2133Mhz when playing games. I wouldn't worry about it much. Unless you are playing games like Battlefield 5 or Fallout 4, you won't see any benefit with 2133Mhz over 1600-1833 at CL9-CL11. And even in Battlefield 5, having 2133 over 1833 may get you at most 7-9fps. In the Battlefield 5 beta, I saw up to 80-85fps with lows of 55fps on my i7-2600k and GTX 1070 using 1600 and 9-9-9-24. Going from 1600 to 2133 in BF5 may only be about a 10-11fps difference.

Nov 22, 2019
I do play some high-end games such as Fallout 4/Rust/Simulators and I'm mostly looking for consistency across my DIMM slots.
Hopefully the following image can help people identify the RAM.
I do apologise if I have misread/misinterpretated these numbers, looking at stock it might only be 800Mhz RAM with 1066Mhz XMP?
EGp8Lvm.png

I'm mainly now just trying to identify a name/number that identifies the exact RAM modules I have.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019
Hi all, I got really sick of searching the internet so I dug out my Motherboard Box.
Sorry for any confusion I spread (I was really confused myself) - this is my first time really looking into RAM Sizes/Timings/Etc.

Honestly, just buy what you can afford or is available to you. You will not notice much difference between DDR3 1600 and 1833 or even 2133. Just try to get at least 1600 CL9 1833 CL10, 2133 CL11 or 2400 CL12. Just be careful with the 2400Mhz kits. A couple months ago I bought a G.Skill 2x8GB 2400 CL11 1.65v kit for $50 that I could only run stable at 2133 CL10 and 1.6v. It may have just been the motherboard I was using though.

Solution