Using computer as router

I'm still confused as to whether or not using a

Dell Dimension 300 / PII / Linux

will work as a router with:

No bandwidth delay
No ping delay (different metric)

Thanks!!!!!

--
It'salwaysbeenmygoalinlifetocreateasignaturethatendedwiththeword"blarphoogy"
..

Thomas G. Marshall coughed up:
> I'm still confused as to whether or not using a
>
> Dell Dimension 300 / PII / Linux
>
> will work as a router with:
>
> No bandwidth delay
> No ping delay (different metric)
>
> Thanks!!!!!

To clarify. Used as a

Router
Firewall
NAT server

I'm concerned about the effect on gaming. You really "feel" a loss in ping
or bandwidth with such things.

--
It'salwaysbeenmygoalinlifetocreateasignaturethatendedwiththeword"blarphoogy"
..

Name

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003

I think its safe to say you mean to run it as a dedicated router, in which
case, it depends on the application. How many people on your current
network?

In the case that it is just you and a friend or whatever, I don't believe
it will outperform a modern SOHO router to any noticable extent. There is
also a factor of energy. Powering a computer (and a switch) will consume
more energy, making the setup inefficient. The only practical benefit I
see in using this as a SOHO router is the option of running a web/dns
cache-- or if you don't already have a SOHO router and want to save some
cash.

Although, I can understand the desire to run a linux router simply for the
sake of doing it. And if this is what you want, I salute you.

> I'm still confused as to whether or not using a
>
> Dell Dimension 300 / PII / Linux
>
> will work as a router with:
>
> No bandwidth delay
> No ping delay (different metric)
>
> Thanks!!!!!

Name

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003

I didn't see your second post. In re to feeling a loss in ping, it's
unlikely that this is occuring on your subnet. Tell us a little bit about
your setup?

name <none@none.na> wrote:
> I think its safe to say you mean to run it as a dedicated router, in which
> case, it depends on the application. How many people on your current
> network?

> In the case that it is just you and a friend or whatever, I don't believe
> it will outperform a modern SOHO router to any noticable extent. There is
> also a factor of energy. Powering a computer (and a switch) will consume
> more energy, making the setup inefficient. The only practical benefit I
> see in using this as a SOHO router is the option of running a web/dns
> cache-- or if you don't already have a SOHO router and want to save some
> cash.

> Although, I can understand the desire to run a linux router simply for the
> sake of doing it. And if this is what you want, I salute you.

What he or she said!

I'd imagine your home network will play the slimmest role in Internet
gaming. The ISP for each gamer is going to count for a lot more. The
distance to some fat pipe of bandwidth upstream, number of hops, and
ISP latency are what matters.

As you are adding a hop regardless, does it matter if it's a broadband
router or a full fledged computer? Mostly no. There are other pros
and cons besides speed.

Broadband router - easy to use, few patches, misconfigurations are rare,
not a great firewall, the wall wart drains far less power.

Software router - medium to difficult to setup, misconfigurations are
common, have to keep up with OS patches, some Windows programs are poorly
written, far superior firewall if configured correctly, superior
logging, a 250W+ power supply will set you back $10 each month ...
or about there.

And so forth...

As long as the other computers are attached to the Linux router/NAT/firewall by
a 10/100 Ethernet connection, the delay introduced by the computer will be
negligible. I've sold two Linux-knowledgable people even slower computers to
use in the Linux router/NAT/firewall role. Both families have avid gamers in
their midst. Haven't heard anything from either about performance issues in
about two years... Ben Myers