[SOLVED] Using CPL Magic Lan 2 (Devolo - up to 2400 Mbit/s) - connection seems capped to 100 Mbit /s ?

Jul 25, 2019
Hey guys!

I am seeking a bit of enlightenment / help from people with more knowledge with internet speed and CPL than myself.

Here is the setup.

I have an ADSL connection of 500 Mbps. When doing a speed test directly out of the router , here is the speed I get :

Router speed

I get quite perfectly the speed that my ISP is promising me, from that on, no problem.

I have thus bought Devolo magic 2 lan which allow up to 2400 Mbp/s . I know it's more than I need, but I might get 1Gb fiber soon so I thought, why not buy directly the highest quality CPL right off the bat.

Now I have installed the CPL directly plugged into wall plugs. All my RJ45 cables at home are brand new and Cat 6. I have tested them all to do my speed test directly via the router, none of them is defect.

Here is the devolo cockpit showing my CPL network and speed that each Adapter is receiving :

network speed

You can see that I'm getting 220 mbps in one, and 289 mbps in another one. so the connection seems perfectly spread between the adapter, so nothing wrong there.

I have also verified that I was indeed using 1 Gbit/s Integral duplex via my network card interface of Intel I219-V , everything seems fine there, with Ethernet energy saving being disconnected as well.

1GB duplex integral activated successfully

Unfortunately, via speedtest, I only get 70-90 Mbps . This is really frustrating since if I connect to the router directly via wifi, I actually get 240-280 Mbps. Is this output speed through the adapter normal since they are actually receive 220 - 280 Mbit/s ? Should I not get a speed corresponding to what the adapter actually has ?

All my cables are RJ45 Cat 6, my CPL allow up to 2400 Mbps and were quite costy, my networking card is set to 1 Gbits ... I really don't know what else I could do or what I am missing. The Devolo support was really useless so far.

My home is quite recent so the electrical network should not be too bad (10 years old home).

Any tips, any advice is welcome.

As usual the commmunity rocks here so if you take the time to answer me, thank you very much and good karma will come your way !!!

Bert

Last edited:
Solution
I suspect you have something other than ADSL. That technology is limited to about 50mbps and even if it were vdsl it would not exceed 200 and you would have to live next to the telco office. But it doesn't really matter.

Your problem is you are believing a company that is trying to scam you it appears. Powerline equipment tells many of the same lies as wifi. They are doing stuff like adding transmit speed to receive speed. That is like saying your 1gbit ethernet cable is 2gbit but ethernet can actually accomplish that unlike these other technology because they are half duplex and ethernet is full duplex.

There is no powerline network equipment that gets much over say 300mbps in actual installations and that is with the unit...
I suspect you have something other than ADSL. That technology is limited to about 50mbps and even if it were vdsl it would not exceed 200 and you would have to live next to the telco office. But it doesn't really matter.

Your problem is you are believing a company that is trying to scam you it appears. Powerline equipment tells many of the same lies as wifi. They are doing stuff like adding transmit speed to receive speed. That is like saying your 1gbit ethernet cable is 2gbit but ethernet can actually accomplish that unlike these other technology because they are half duplex and ethernet is full duplex.

There is no powerline network equipment that gets much over say 300mbps in actual installations and that is with the unit plugged into the same outlet.

It does not form a separate connection between the unit by the router and the 2 remote device. They are basically a mesh that all talk to each other sharing the same bandwidth. There is overhead running 3 units rather than just 2 so you lose some bandwidth because of that also.

The 200 numbers you see between units is not really transfer speed it represents the data encoding speed. There is a lot of overhead that causes you to only get a fraction of these speeds.

Your speeds are a little slow but it could be because of the path the electical takes in the wall. Try to plug both units in outlets near the router and see what the maximum possible speed you can get.

I would be very surprised if you could get over say 250mbps.

The only technology that can get very high speeds other than ethernet is moca. Some but not all people can get close to a gigabit of speed using the newest moca 2.5 units. These claim 2.5 gigabit of speed but of course don't really get it.

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 24, 2020
Allow me to end your frustration.
I had this same problem and was driving me CRAZY!!!!
Paying for 600 MB s and never got above 100 MB s
I had my internet company out here at least 10 times over the past 6 months. None of them could ever figure it out.
Even had ASUS issue an RMA on my motherboard, and through countless tweaking totally screwed up my adapters tweaking settings.
It was none of that it is a Windows problem.

Open a command prompt with Administrator privileges ( Click start and type CMD, right click Command prompt and run as admin)
Type:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

I actually went forward and changed that to 'normal', so you can also use the below (which is what im running now.

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
after either it should say "OK"

then type
ipconfig /renew
let it do its thing
Then type
ipconfig /flushdns

Enjoy your internet speeds!