[SOLVED] Using DBAN questions

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I am returning a drive I had loaded a bunch of my files onto. Nothing highly sensitive but I want to erase the disc thoroughly before returning. I downloaded DBAN but while reading the instructions it seems a bit intimidating.
It says I launch it on boot and it will wipe all disks, is there no way to just target a single disk?
Also I have 4 ssds in my system and 2 hdds (one is the return). Is it true it cannot detect or wipe ssds? Should I worry about them at all?
I have everything backed up but the last thing I want to do is stich my system back together..

Solution
I am returning a drive I had loaded a bunch of my files onto. Nothing highly sensitive but I want to erase the disc thoroughly before returning. I downloaded DBAN but while reading the instructions it seems a bit intimidating.
It says I launch it on boot and it will wipe all disks, is there no way to just target a single disk?
Also I have 4 ssds in my system and 2 hdds (one is the return). Is it true it cannot detect or wipe ssds? Should I worry about them at all?
I have everything backed up but the last thing I want to do is stich my system back together..
Do not use DBAN for SSDs, it's harmful for them.
If you have doubts about DBAN there are other utilities that can do same thing but with clear graphical interface...
If you have doubts about DBAN there are other utilities that can do same thing but with clear graphical interface. https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html for instance, just choose disk/partition to safely erase and click on Wipe partition.
In essence all those programs just overwrite every bit and byte on a disk/partition with a 0 or some other character at least once or as many times you choose.
For utmost security you could encrypt data first before erasing. Even CIA would have fits to retrieve any useful fragments.

Last edited:
Solution

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
For the record, its horse s**t that DBAN doesn't work on ssd's.,, It just nuked my entire system. According to everything I could find on it including a step by step guide, it CANNOT access or erase ssd's.
Apparently that is not true. I am just glad I attached the drive to my throw away computer to try it out.
Also when they say it will take a "long time" that is probably not specific enough. The auto mode estimated 21 hours.

For the record, its horse s**t that DBAN doesn't work on ssd's.,, It just nuked my entire system. According to everything I could find on it including a step by step guide, it CANNOT access or erase ssd's.
Apparently that is not true. I am just glad I attached the drive to my throw away computer to try it out.
Also when they say it will take a "long time" that is probably not specific enough. The auto mode estimated 21 hours.
It works on SSD but is not as effective because of data being also stored in sections that DBAN or any programs can access and also writes a lot shortening it's lifetime.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
It works on SSD but is not as effective because of data being also stored in sections that DBAN or any programs can access and also writes a lot shortening it's lifetime.

Did I just ruin my ssd then? What harm could it do and what should I do to remedy it? I forced shut down after a couple minutes once I saw that 21hr timer.. it was enough to nuke windows off of it though. It only got about 2.5% into the wipe when I shut it down.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
If you have doubts about DBAN there are other utilities that can do same thing but with clear graphical interface. https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html for instance, just choose disk/partition to safely erase and click on Wipe partition.
In essence all those programs just overwrite every bit and byte on a disk/partition with a 0 or some other character at least once or as many times you choose.
For utmost security you could encrypt data first before erasing. Even CIA would have fits to retrieve any useful fragments.

Ah man these forums rarely let me down... Guess I should have waited for this answer.. ha oh well. Thank you for that info, I will try partition wizard after I finish installing windows again. That sounds a little more my speed.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I'd read this as well:
Best SSD Data Wiping Software for Windows (diskpart.com)
Speaking of secure erase SSD tool, you may want to check the manufacturer software of your SSD brand first. Currently, many SSDs are come with mange software in which a data secure erase feature is embedded. For instance, Samsung SSD has Samsung Magician, Kingston SSD has its Manager, Crucial SSD has Storage Executive software and Intel SSD has its Toolbox. If the software has “ATA Secure Erase” command implemented, it would be certainly the best for your SSD.