[SOLVED] Using different ram speeds

Tr4ck3r

Prominent
Jul 3, 2020
Hello guys!
I have 8gb of ddr4 adata xpg d41 3000mhz. And I want to upgrade to 16gb. However, I can only find the 3200mhz of the same model (D41). Does it work? If yes, are there any disadvantages when it comes to speed or dual channel mode?
Thanks

Solution
Running 2 different DIMMs in dual channel is possible.
But there are 2 aspects that you must be aware of:
  1. They will run at the slowest speed of the two, or they will run even slower than that, at JEDEC default speed (2133MT/s or 2400MT/s).
  2. There’s also a possibility that they won’t run together at all! It happens from time to time.

Solution:
Sell your current RAM and buy a kit of two DIMMs.

Tr4ck3r

Prominent
Jul 3, 2020
regardless of what type of ram configuration you go for your mhz speed should be the same on all sticks , if you have 2 different mhz speeds the slower one will pull down the speed of the faster one.
So according to what you are saying, They will both run at 3000mhz but still perform in dual channel mode?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
That is possible BUT until you try it you won't know for sure.
They may only run at 2133, 2400, 2666, 2800, 2933 or 3000.
Or your PC my not even POST with both sticks/kits installed.

RAM is sold in multi stick kits to ensure that it will all work together at the rated speed.

You best option IMO, would be to sell the 8 GB stick/kit and buy a 16 GB kit that is stated to work on your specific Motherboard.

Last edited:

Endre

Reputable
Running 2 different DIMMs in dual channel is possible.
But there are 2 aspects that you must be aware of:
  1. They will run at the slowest speed of the two, or they will run even slower than that, at JEDEC default speed (2133MT/s or 2400MT/s).
  2. There’s also a possibility that they won’t run together at all! It happens from time to time.

Solution:
Sell your current RAM and buy a kit of two DIMMs.

Solution