Using eSata drive as permanent third drive

Whitizo

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014
Ok so im working with an ITX motherboard and Im using a 1tb hard drive and 120gb ssd. I only have 2 SATA ports and I want to get a second SSD.
I've considered going away with the hard drive but I just need all the storage and a 500-1tb SSD is way too much money.

So my question is, is it possible to get a cable to plug an internal drive into the external eSata port on my motherboard and leave it plugged in and running all the time. I would have my two 120gb SSD's plugged into the SATA 3 ports and the hard drive in the external port. With success I would then just cut out a spot on the back of my case to send the cable in and leave the hard drive inside the PC with the cable coming in from the external spot.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Personally would look to get a SATA card if you have a slot to install it on. I would guess that with m-ITX, no with video card there.

For awareness sake...if you chose to go with an external drive, get something with a fan. Full time use on "portable" drives most often fries them from heat.
I personally feel like your best bet might be a single larger HDD. 2-3TB drives can be found crazy cheap, and even saw a 500G SSD on sale on Newegg sub $60.
Aside from that, consider a NAS enclosure or a dock with a fan.

Whitizo

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014

Gonna go ahead and buy a 240gb ssd and just run my pc with 2 ssds and be cautious about my storage