Using existing Coax runs to wire for ethernet?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hi all,

I just kinda need a sounding board - it sounds logical enough in my head, but I'm sure it can't be that simple, otherwise it would be the recommendation everywhere.

Moving house, from fully ethernet wired, to a house still wired throughout via Coax.

Fully developed basement, so having runs be 'easy' is out of the question.

Could I:
Remove the faceplates and tape a length of ethernet cable to the coax cable, while tying a piece of string to the coax too.

Pull the coax through, bringing ethernet to the source?

I'd then have ethernet cabling where I want it, and then bring the coax back through (via the sting tied earlier)....

Ports could then have both ethernet AND coax?

I'm assuming there's some obvious issues I'm overlooking.... but it sounds pretty simplistic in my head?

Cheers

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It does sound like it should work. Of course, there might be places where the coax end or RJ-45 end gets hung up on something while within the walls, and you wouldn't be able to see it.

Otherwise, as long as the string is tied VERY well, it should work.

EDIT: I was in a house where the coax already in the walls couldn't be pulled through, because it was somehow stapled somewhere. Which sucked, because that cable was apparently damaged so the signal wouldn't go through.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Ah, I hadn't thought of staples, or the cabling being secured in some way..... That would suck.

While there's certainly 'easier' ways, I'm thinking could do it for substantially cheaper, or at least similar vs those nodes (assuming the coax could be used to feed ethernet). On top of that, I'd at least be learning something.

Minimum $50 US for a 'node', and I'd need (more like a want, really) to do 4 rooms.
So that's $200 US.

If I were to wire for ethernet, I'd do the whole house (7 or 8 coax runs currently - I won't know for sure until I move in)
I can get 1000ft of Cat6 for roughly $100 CAD and 1x Coax + Ethernet faceplate is ~$6/piece without shopping around.

So even assuming I need 2000ft, which I can't imagine... but better safe than sorry
+8 x $6
= $248 CAD, and that gets the whole house.

Of course, if it's not as smooth as it is in my head... I'd have to reconsider.

Not 100% what's in/out of the question just yet. It's a rental, so I'm a little limited in a total overhaul.
Realistically, I'm probably not "allowed" to run ethernet to begin with..... but that's an ask forgiveness situation, if anybody ever notices in future :lol:

Well, from someone who have managed enterprise wirings and did my own home in-walls... the big caveat is... it would, maybe (so tentative), work if the run is short, and is going through one wall to the next room, because ANY kinks at all and you won't be able to pull that cable wo damaging it, it almost have to have a proper conduit around it. But your big caviat is, people (the Pros do), staple cable runs, I think it's in the code, for homes.

So, can't run ethernet, have coax, obvious option is MOCA.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, staples would put the kibosh on this real quick.

Also, small holes. Often, a hole for the coax will be juuust big enough for the bare cable. A coax terminator, or the ethernet tied on with string...might get caught up.
Multiple bends, too much stress.
Pulling the coax back through, the string and the cable end won't be perfectly aligned.

Only way to know is to try.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Thanks guys - figured it couldn't be that simple, otherwise it would be recommended everywhere.

Hadn't thought of the terminator on the end....... holes may well only be large enough for the cable itself.

As for the coax +ethernet, I was thinking I'd tape the ethernet cable so it was 'straight' out the coax. Hopefully wouldn't be much flex, but probably enough to be troublesome (assuming no staples).

I'll probably try it to my office anyway, but this won't be for a month or so.