• Now's your chance to speak with MSI directly! Join our AMA and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Ask your questions here.

Catch the next Tom's Hardware livestream on May 28 at 2PM Eastern: Catch the show here!

Need Hardware Help? Include the Info Requested Here.
  • Join our Best PC Builds competition and get on the Tom's Hardware home page. Check it out here.

Question Using external monitor with laptop issue

Jan 27, 2020
Hi everyone,
I apologise beforehand if my questions seem dumb as I'm not an expert with these sorts of things.

I have a laptop MSI GP63 8RE, which has CPU i7-8750H using Intel UHD Graphics 630 and GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB.

I have an old monitor connected to my laptop using VGA to HDMI adapter which is then plugged into my laptop; when I use the laptop with 'Laptop Screen Only' mode, 'Duplicate Screen' mode or 'Extend' mode, the performance is fine. But as soon as I use 'Second Screen Only' or use the laptop with a closed lid meaning only the external monitor is used, everything starts to lag like crazy, I cannot even play a video offline without lagging.

I tried so hard to look online for solutions but I don't know how to fix this. Please kindly share your expertise if you know how to fix this.

Thanks

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS