Question Using external PSU to test Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF ?

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
So I recently was given a non-functioning Dell optiplex 7010 sff core i5. It looks like the PSU is dead, but I am worried it may have taken the Mobo/CPU, etc. with it. Before I invest in a PSU, (these are proprietary), I was wondering if I can use an old HP model D11-300N1A switching PSU. It is 300w max output @ 25 degrees Celsius, or 260w max output @ 50 degrees Celsius. I am assuming it would be set to 115. The model number of the Dell PSU is H240AS-01 240 watt Max output.

I realize there are some differences in amperage on the 12v rails, etc., but mainly want to see if I can fire it up and find out if all that needs replacing is the PSU, and that the whole setup is not toast.

One thing I did notice is that the front case fan, and CPU fan were pretty clogged with dust so not sure if the poor thing suffocated and put too much stress on PSU???
Thanks in advance for any help.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I have it all hooked up and wanted to double check re: the 115 or 230v setting before attempting to power on. The red switch visibly shows 115 but I have read others stating just the opposite.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Got it. While the PSU was unplugged I switched it both ways to see what each setting shows and then put it back to the correct setting I need in my area. I have heard others mention that switching even while the PSU is off can cause damage. How is that possible if it was off and it is set to correct voltage now when I get ready to turn on? Thanks

If so would look for a decent TFX psu then if it can be made to run again. Pretty sure it will use this size psu.
Won't fit. TFX measures 65x85mm on the backpanel, the PSU in the Optiplex 7010 SFF measures 60x70mm.
I have it all hooked up and wanted to double check re: the 115 or 230v setting before attempting to power on. The red switch visibly shows 115 but I have read others stating just the opposite.
The PSU has a voltage switch? Only very old or very bad PSUs have a voltage switch. What's the brand and model?