[SOLVED] Using Free Space on a new SSD

Jul 20, 2017
My computer had a slow, old HDD with 1TB of storage which I am trying to replace with a 2TB SSD. I cloned the HDD onto the SSD and now I have 1TB of allocates space.

The drive currently has three partitions, the first and third are small ~500MB partitions which I assume are required for the primary drive. The second partition is the main partition, containing about a TB of storage. Then, I have 931GB of “Free Space”.

Is there any way I can use this new free space to extend this partition? When I tried “Extend Volume” it didn’t allow me to extend the partition any further, saying that it was already at its maximum (so it didn’t let me use the new free space). Is there any other way I can go about utilizing this new extra storage with this partition (other than simply creating a new partition and using that)?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
You could deleted the 535 MB Recovery Partition, which will allow you to merge them in Windows. It won't affect Windows booting but you won't be able to use Windows recovery to fix Windows if it gets corrupted or damaged.
I don't need that partition since I have an image backup of my system OS disk.
By the way, Disk Management won't allow you to delete that partition but you could use diskpart.
Type diskpart in the search box, and click on run diskpart as as administrator.
Type list disk and hit Enter to display all the disks.
Type select disk n, and hit Enter (replace "n" with the correct disk number). I see that it is disk # 3
Type list partition and hit Enter, to list all the partitions on disk. Please...
Windows only allow extending partitions when empty space is immediately after (to the right) the volume you want to extend, and it should be an unallocated space.
Also, Disk Management should be opened as administrator.
The empty volume should be formatted with the NTFS.

Jul 20, 2017
Windows only allow extending partitions when empty space is immediately after (to the right) the volume you want to extend, and it should be an unallocated space.
Also, Disk Management should be opened as administrator.
The empty volume should be formatted with the NTFS.
Thank you for the reply, I just wanted to ask, how do I switch the third (small, boot-drive) partition with the fourth (I allocated) partition so that the unallocated one is directly to the right of the second (main) partition?

Jul 20, 2017
JOVFxM0.png

Above is the image of Disk Management

I realize that 3rd party software may be the only option, but what third party software could I use to (safely) do this?

You could deleted the 535 MB Recovery Partition, which will allow you to merge them in Windows. It won't affect Windows booting but you won't be able to use Windows recovery to fix Windows if it gets corrupted or damaged.
I don't need that partition since I have an image backup of my system OS disk.
By the way, Disk Management won't allow you to delete that partition but you could use diskpart.
Type diskpart in the search box, and click on run diskpart as as administrator.
Type list disk and hit Enter to display all the disks.
Type select disk n, and hit Enter (replace "n" with the correct disk number). I see that it is disk # 3
Type list partition and hit Enter, to list all the partitions on disk. Please pay attention to the disk number and size since I see several disk listed that contains a recovery partition.
Type select partition n (replace n with the partition number of the recovery partition).
Type delete partition and hit Enter to delete the recovery partition.
Type exit and hit Enter to exit diskpart

If you want to keep the Recovery Parrtition then use MiniTool Partition Wizard free edition to extend the partition.
https://www.partitionwizard.com/

Reactions: Frooby
Solution

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
I hope it's ok to jump in here as this is exactly what I'm trying to do too?

I'll be doing the same as WACM following the directions above - thank you Jojesa.

Assuming all goes to plan and the 'Recovery' partition will be deleted and the C: drive expanded to incorporate that 'Free' space (now immediately to its right), would it be possible to then make a new Recovery partition so the PC is back safely where it was before - ie the C: drive having gained all the disc's available Free space and a new recovery partition produced for peace of mind?

Thanks.

I hope it's ok to jump in here as this is exactly what I'm trying to do too?

I'll be doing the same as WACM following the directions above - thank you Jojesa.

Assuming all goes to plan and the 'Recovery' partition will be deleted and the C: drive expanded to incorporate that 'Free' space (now immediately to its right), would it be possible to then make a new Recovery partition so the PC is back safely where it was before - ie the C: drive having gained all the disc's available Free space and a new recovery partition produced for peace of mind?

Thanks.
You cannot add that partition to the C: drive unless you re-install Windows.
To have peace of mind, manually create a recovery partition on another disk (e.g. external USB disk).
In case your disk fails you could really recover it.

Reactions: Frooby

TRENDING THREADS