Using games and programs across 2 users?

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
This may be a dumb question, but ive never used multiple user accounts on a system before. Im setting my moms new laptop up for her. Unfortunatly it comes with the terrible windows 8. Im not very familiar with it but have been learning as i go. One thing i wanted to do was set myself as the admin and her as a regular user so i can restrict what she can/cant do. Shes very computer illiterate and i want to at least limit what executables she can run to lower the chances of her getting a virus or something.

problems is ive never set up multiple user accounts. It seems if i install a game on one account the other person can not use it. THere are a few programs and games id like us both to be able to use. No use installing torchlight or plants vs zombies multiple times. How do i do this? I cant for the life of me find the options for this. I want to install, say, Plants vs zombies once, and let both her and I use it

Solution
Simple ..... many programs give the option at time of install for a user or all users..... failing that you can just change it.

1. Start / right click programs / Open / Dbl click programs
2. Start / right click programs / Open All USers / Dbl click programs
3. Fine what ya want in windows (drill down as needed) ya opened under step 1 and copy / paste or more to window ya opened in step 2 ya opened under step 2
Simple ..... many programs give the option at time of install for a user or all users..... failing that you can just change it.

1. Start / right click programs / Open / Dbl click programs
2. Start / right click programs / Open All USers / Dbl click programs
3. Fine what ya want in windows (drill down as needed) ya opened under step 1 and copy / paste or more to window ya opened in step 2 ya opened under step 2

Solution

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
umm windows 8 doesn't have a start menu. Not sure how i navigate to those links posted by jack. Do most apps/games give an option? I havent put much on yet but none of the stuff i have give me an option. Maybe i'll try putting torchlight on and see if it gives the option. If not how do i share it after the fact?

C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\