[SOLVED] Using GEIL non AMD Edition RAM with Ryzen 3600

paddybliss

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
I’m about to start building my first PC based on a Ryzen 5 3600 + Asrock B450M Pro. I ordered what I though was GEIL Evo X II AMD Edition RAM, from Amazon. The listing pictured a box with a Ryzen logo on it and it mentioned AMD and B450 in the listing.

The RAM arrived in a box without the Ryzen logo on it, and there was no mention of Ryzen or AMD on the RAM sticks (I’ve since seen pics of the RAM with a Ryzen logo on it) or packaging and there were no instructions. However, there were stickers which had the correct SKU: GAEXSY416GB3200C16ADC.

I contacted GEIL for their feedback on this. They got back to me very quickly and confirmed that as the SKU is correct then this the Ryzen edition RAM. I’m still concerned though that the SKU is just a sticker on the box and RAM sticks, so it could have been incorrectly labelled. I put this to them and they just answered with “please try on your PC”.

I’m not exactly clear as the what the difference between the AMD and non AMD Edition is. What will happen if it’s not the Ryzen Edition RAM? Will it still work, but with performance issues, not work at all, damage other components, blow up my PC, bring about the end of the universe etc? Will I be able to confirm it's the Ryzen RAM via the PC's BIOS / Windows?

Solution

paddybliss

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Ok, I built my PC today and included the RAM. I haven't got as far as installing windows yet, but the BIOS recognises the RAM as DDR4-2133 and there is an option to change the speed to 3200. I also found this info in the BIOS:

Cl16-18-18 D4-3200
Module size 8GB
Bandwidth PC4-17066 (1066 Mhz)

Does this confirm its the AMD edition?

Solution

paddybliss

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I saw the data sheet and the sku is the same, but I was concerned as the pictures on GEIL site and elsewhere show a Ryzen label on the box and RAM sticks, the sku is just a sticker.

What is the difference between the AMD and other versions? If it;s the wrong version, should it still work at all?

I've got windows up and running now, are there some diagnostics I can do to check this?

paddybliss

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Thanks for clarifying. AMD have also just got back to me with this:

"All the products we have on Amazon UK are for AMD edition ,they can also work perfectly on Intel ,that’ why we don’t have stickers on them "

They are still promoting a different Ryzen Edition on their website, seems confusing to do this if they are both the same, other RAM manufacturers just have one version and add "Ryzen Ready" or something like that.

Glad it works, as I've just noticed its gone up by £18 since I bought it and other RAM I was looking at has also increased in price this week.

TRENDING THREADS