Using ghost to deploy computers

Hey

I posted earlier regarding this topic, but can't find the NG I posted to.

Essentially, we deployed a few identical machines (and hence identical
HALs) individually. Now I'd like to save a ghost image, and use that to
image each machine, then change their domain and workstation info.

My only concern is this system ID thing - I was informed to use SysPrep,
but what does that do? What happens if there's two SID's on the network
- I was able to clone one desktop using ghost (didn't run sysprep), then
just changed the computer name and joined it onto the domain after (had
to reboot obviously for that, but I don't mind).

Anything I should know? Thanks.

PS: Using Ghost 9.0

sarah

You can use a third party tool to rename the pc and resid the new machine so
that all pc's generated from this image will work properly. This tool,
Newsid is available from http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NewSid.html. I
am not sure if this is the tool I have used in the past, but I think it is.

David is right, though Ghost v9 is not the right version to be using for
this job. It is my understanding that it was developed for backups.

If you have a several machines to build, you may be better off developing an
Unattended Installation. This will cope with a variation of hardware and
every machine will be a new build. You will need to enter a valid Licence for
each machine but you cannot use Ghost to get round this.

From: "DukeN" <hoops@removthis.infolab.ca>

| Hey
|
| I posted earlier regarding this topic, but can't find the NG I posted to.
|
| Essentially, we deployed a few identical machines (and hence identical
| HALs) individually. Now I'd like to save a ghost image, and use that to
| image each machine, then change their domain and workstation info.
|
| My only concern is this system ID thing - I was informed to use SysPrep,
| but what does that do? What happens if there's two SID's on the network
| - I was able to clone one desktop using ghost (didn't run sysprep), then
| just changed the computer name and joined it onto the domain after (had
| to reboot obviously for that, but I don't mind).
|
| Anything I should know? Thanks.
|
| PS: Using Ghost 9.0

You need to use the SYSPREP tility. This will strip the SIDs and then when the restore
clone image is booted on the destination PC it will run the Mini Setup Wizard. There you
can set the machine name, add the pC to the Domain and change the IP address.

I also suggest that you fully install and setyup all applications and when done, copy the
profile you used to the the Default Profile. This way all users who logon to that PC will
inherit all the settings now in the Default User profile.

Additionally, Ghost v9.0 is NOT the right version. That's the retail version of Ghost. You
want to use the Symantec Enterprise v8.0 version of Ghost. This way you are licensed for
all machines (~$10 per PC) and you can also take full advantage of the multti-cast IP
capabilities of Enterprise Ghost. This means that you can restore 1 image to many computers
at the same time over IP. There are also other advantages to the Enterprise version over
the retail version of Ghost.

Symantec Ghost is the only Symantec product I swear by and not swear at !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Neobyte

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2002

Firstly, as someone mentioned, Ghost 9 is retail so you need a unique
copy of Ghost 9 for each machine you want to ghost. If you are
ghosting multiple machines you want to go with Corporate Edition. CE
also includes a tool called Ghostwalker (as I recall) which can change
a machines SID after it has been imaged.

With regards to multiple identical SIDs on the network, how much it
matters depends on your network. If you are using a workgroup, it
matters quite a bit, as users you create on each machine may end up
having identical SIDs to other users on other machines, thereby gaining
access.

If you have a domain setup it matters less, as when you join a machine
to a domain it is given a unique identifier based on the domain SID.
Obviously you need to give the machine a unique *name* before joining
it to the domain.

A good concise description is given here, along with a handy standalone
tool for giving a machine a new SID.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NewSid.html

Don't know anything about pushing images out to workstations.
I do use DI 7.0. Its restore has an option to restore the SID, normally not
selected by default.

"DukeN" <hoops@removthis.infolab.ca> wrote in message
> Hey
>
> I posted earlier regarding this topic, but can't find the NG I posted to.
>
> Essentially, we deployed a few identical machines (and hence identical
> HALs) individually. Now I'd like to save a ghost image, and use that to
> image each machine, then change their domain and workstation info.
>
> My only concern is this system ID thing - I was informed to use SysPrep,
> but what does that do? What happens if there's two SID's on the network
> - I was able to clone one desktop using ghost (didn't run sysprep), then
> just changed the computer name and joined it onto the domain after (had
> to reboot obviously for that, but I don't mind).
>
> Anything I should know? Thanks.
>
> PS: Using Ghost 9.0

PB

Thanks for the answer, I just have a couple of related questions below:

> You need to use the SYSPREP tility. This will strip the SIDs and then
> when the restore
> clone image is booted on the destination PC it will run the Mini Setup
> Wizard. There you
> can set the machine name, add the pC to the Domain and change the IP
> address.

So this should be run on the target PC after the image is restored to the
target PC, correct? For doing it before would be pointless as the contents
on the HDD are overwritten by the contents of the base image from the base
PC.

> Additionally, Ghost v9.0 is NOT the right version. That's the retail
> version of Ghost. You
> want to use the Symantec Enterprise v8.0 version of Ghost. This way you
> are licensed for
> all machines (~$10 per PC) and you can also take full advantage of the
> multti-cast IP
> capabilities of Enterprise Ghost. This means that you can restore 1 image
> to many computers
> at the same time over IP. There are also other advantages to the
> Enterprise version over
> the retail version of Ghost.

We won't be deploying over a network, these would just be machines booted up
using the Ghost 9 CD, and imaged using an image on disk. We aren't doing
enough deployments to justify network deployment IMO, but its more than
enough to do everything manually.

Would Ghost 9.0 still be the incorrect version license-wise, for it was only
installed on one PC to save a base image, and it is not being
installed/deployed over a network. Do the image deployments need individual
licenses, even though it is not the ghost software being deployed, but
rather a base image containing other software?

> Symantec Ghost is the only Symantec product I swear by and not swear at !

Totally agree! Tho the corporate antivirus isn't bad, the consumer ones are
just BRUTAL - the utility equivalents to Windows ME IMHO.

Thanks again for your patience/help.
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

PB

Thanks a ton for the link, that clears up a lot of info. We might get the
corporate version for licensing purposes, and then deploy locally with or
without sysprep, depending on how that tool works out.

Cheers

From: "PB" <hoopitup@gmail.com>

Replies are inline...
| Thanks for the answer, I just have a couple of related questions below:

>> You need to use the SYSPREP tility. This will strip the SIDs and then
>> when the restore
>> clone image is booted on the destination PC it will run the Mini Setup
>> Wizard. There you
>> can set the machine name, add the pC to the Domain and change the IP
>> address.
|
| So this should be run on the target PC after the image is restored to the
| target PC, correct? For doing it before would be pointless as the contents
| on the HDD are overwritten by the contents of the base image from the base
| PC.

The objective is to fully install, update andf configure all aspects of a source PC to be
used for cloning. Then copy the profile of the account used to setup and configure the PC
to the "Default User" profile. When that is done the Sysprep utility is executed. The PC
will be then shutdown and Ghost would be used to then image the the source PC.

The image is then restored to the destination PC and upon boot it will run the Mini Setup
Wizard where you can set the machine name, add the PC to the Domain and change the IP
address.

>> Additionally, Ghost v9.0 is NOT the right version. That's the retail
>> version of Ghost. You
>> want to use the Symantec Enterprise v8.0 version of Ghost. This way you
>> are licensed for
>> all machines (~$10 per PC) and you can also take full advantage of the
>> multti-cast IP
>> capabilities of Enterprise Ghost. This means that you can restore 1 image
>> to many computers
>> at the same time over IP. There are also other advantages to the
>> Enterprise version over
>> the retail version of Ghost.
|
| We won't be deploying over a network, these would just be machines booted up
| using the Ghost 9 CD, and imaged using an image on disk. We aren't doing
| enough deployments to justify network deployment IMO, but its more than
| enough to do everything manually.
|
| Would Ghost 9.0 still be the incorrect version license-wise, for it was only
| installed on one PC to save a base image, and it is not being
| installed/deployed over a network. Do the image deployments need individual
| licenses, even though it is not the ghost software being deployed, but
| rather a base image containing other software?

Yes.

You can still not do an image backup/restore over the wire but still use Symantec Ghost 8.0
which is the right version to use. It can use many forms of media tio make an imge to.
However, I suggest doing it over the wire. It will save time and aggrevation. Imagine
restoring one image to 10 platforms, at the same time, in ~20 mins. Now imagine 20 machins
being restored each taking ~20 mins. (maybe longer of other media)

How many platforms are being deployed anyway ?

>> Symantec Ghost is the only Symantec product I swear by and not swear at !
|
| Totally agree! Tho the corporate antivirus isn't bad, the consumer ones are
| just BRUTAL - the utility equivalents to Windows ME IMHO.
|
| Thanks again for your patience/help.

YW -- Anytime.

From: "PB" <hoopitup@gmail.com>

| Thanks a ton for the link, that clears up a lot of info. We might get the
| corporate version for licensing purposes, and then deploy locally with or
| without sysprep, depending on how that tool works out.
|
| Cheers

If you connect to a Domain, use Sysprep !!

Using Sysprep will definitely negate SID problems and make the setup of each PC to be an
individual easy to do.

Symantec GhostWalker has been known to have occasional problems while Sysprep is a MS
utility that does not have problems.

--

On 6 Sep 2005 23:25:53 -0700, "Neobyte" <neobyte@gmail.com> wrote:

>Firstly, as someone mentioned, Ghost 9 is retail so you need a unique
>copy of Ghost 9 for each machine you want to ghost. If you are
>ghosting multiple machines you want to go with Corporate Edition. CE
>also includes a tool called Ghostwalker (as I recall) which can change
>a machines SID after it has been imaged.
>
>With regards to multiple identical SIDs on the network, how much it
>matters depends on your network. If you are using a workgroup, it
>matters quite a bit, as users you create on each machine may end up
>having identical SIDs to other users on other machines, thereby gaining
>access.
>
>If you have a domain setup it matters less, as when you join a machine
>to a domain it is given a unique identifier based on the domain SID.
>Obviously you need to give the machine a unique *name* before joining
>it to the domain.

Actually, the SID problem is just as prevalent in a Domain. Yes, the
Domain will write a portion of the SID, but if each computer you join
to the Domain has the same SID prior to adding it, that SID will be
used in making the SID for the Domain, so each added workstation will
STILL have an identical SID, which is not allowed on the Domain.

I prefer Systermals NewSID, which is free, but there are many
utilities out there for this purpose. I like NewSID because I don't
have to walk each workstation I deploy, after ghosting, through a
mini=setup. I just Ghost the drive, delete the SID, then fire up the
computer, change the computer name and add it to the Domain.