[SOLVED] Using gigabit ethernet to broadcast 5G network?

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Hello, I need to find a way to get 5G wifi at home, currently I have a device that acts as both router and satellite TV, therefore I cannot really replace it in just a new router, this device only support 2.4G wifi.

I think there are 2 solution for this, the first would be using a wifi repeater that can receive an ethernet connection and broadcast 5G, the only issue with that is it seems that a gigabit ethernet port increases the price by quite a lot, and I can't really tell if it's really gigabit or just false advertising.

I've seen the following for example(I cannot order from amazon, so my only option is pretty much aliexpress):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

It looks decent, and it's advertised as gigabit ethernet, but can't really tell...
I've also seen the following item:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/330...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I can't really figure whether it's a router, a repeater, or maybe both? As it seems like it only has ethernet connections and not ADSL or anything else(unless it works differently nowadays :p)

I need the 5G for some device I'm using, for my PC I'm using an ethernet cable directly. Would love to get some assistance with that.
Thanks! :)

Solution
Do you think I should go with that, or you might have some other recommendations?

Thanks.
I would avoid the ccc (cheap chinese crap) on amazon, and amazon all together due to their co-mingling of fakes into their inventory.

We have a tplink archer c5 that has really nice speeds in the 5ghz band. The c7 is even better and my wife enjoys her separate c8. I think almost anything in the asus or tplink lineup with 5ghz will be sufficient for what you need.
What you want is a AP. Any old router can act as a AP it just has to be able to run the 5g band and that is very common. Lots of old junk you can use but you can get a new dual band 802.11ac router for under $50.

It depends on how fast your internet is. 802.11ac devices can exceed 100mbps so would want a router with gigabit ports if your internet is over 100mbps.

Reactions: SamirD

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
What you want is a AP. Any old router can act as a AP it just has to be able to run the 5g band and that is very common. Lots of old junk you can use but you can get a new dual band 802.11ac router for under $50.

It depends on how fast your internet is. 802.11ac devices can exceed 100mbps so would want a router with gigabit ports if your internet is over 100mbps.

Thanks for the comment! Any product recommendations?
Also, my home network is 100mb I believe, but I need the 5G for my local LAN, so I'm not sure it matters much.

I'm not sure I have an old router. I'll search.
I did see a xiaomi mi 4A with gigabit ethernet ports, seems like it should do the job?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZT217T...rds=xiaomi+mi+4a+router&qid=1589363964&sr=8-8

Last edited:
Do you think I should go with that, or you might have some other recommendations?

Thanks.
I would avoid the ccc (cheap chinese crap) on amazon, and amazon all together due to their co-mingling of fakes into their inventory.

We have a tplink archer c5 that has really nice speeds in the 5ghz band. The c7 is even better and my wife enjoys her separate c8. I think almost anything in the asus or tplink lineup with 5ghz will be sufficient for what you need.

Solution

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018

I just found out that one of my friends has the xiaomi router, so I'll try picking it up from him and experience with it for a few days and see how it opreates for me.
I only care about 5ghz lan speed, nothing more than that really, but still...chinese <Mod Edit>, you never know what you get, even though sometimes it might be just awesome.

If that won't work out for me I'll probably the the TP link C6.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found out that one of my friends has the xiaomi router, so I'll try picking it up from him and experience with it for a few days and see how it opreates for me.
I only care about 5ghz lan speed, nothing more than that really, but still...chinese <Mod Edit>, you never know what you get, even though sometimes it might be just awesome.

If that won't work out for me I'll probably the the TP link C6.

That's a good proof of concept test, but unless you're getting that exact same equipment it's not a good evaluation test.

Yes, you never know what you get--viruses that threaten to destroy the whole world, backdoors to take over the whole world, etc. Trusting that country's native products would be a mistake.

You can't go wrong with the tplinks--I've found them to be solid.

Last edited by a moderator:

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
That's a good proof of concept test, but unless you're getting that exact same equipment it's not a good evaluation test.

Yes, you never know what you get--viruses that threaten to destroy the whole world, backdoors to take over the whole world, etc. Trusting that country's native products would be a mistake.

You can't go wrong with the tplinks--I've found them to be solid.
Oh it is the exact same product yeah.