[SOLVED] using Gskill and corsair rams side by side at 2133mhz

vish1756

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
i have a ryzen 1700x, gtx 1080, 600watts psu, 16gb gskill trident z rgb 3000mhz. I need to upgrade my ram and since my friend is selling off a 1x16gb corsair vengeance 2400mhz ram i was wondering if i can run it along with my gskill kit at the base frequence of 2133mhz and if not will it be fine with another gskill tridentz rgb 3000mhz kit?

Solution
Why do you need to upgrade the ram. 2x8gb 3000mhz should be fine for most tasks.

Mixing ram is a very poor idea. It may be able to work, but it probably won't in this case. May get no boot. May have BSOD.

However, even if it works it will cripple performance. You will likely be forced to run in single channel and the 2133mhz is way to slow for good performance on ryzen.
Why do you need to upgrade the ram. 2x8gb 3000mhz should be fine for most tasks.

Mixing ram is a very poor idea. It may be able to work, but it probably won't in this case. May get no boot. May have BSOD.

However, even if it works it will cripple performance. You will likely be forced to run in single channel and the 2133mhz is way to slow for good performance on ryzen.

Reactions: vish1756
Solution

vish1756

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

i work in the vfx industry and 16gb ram is like beginners kit for us.. i need at least 32gigs to work on an ongoing task. the softwares that i work on dont show much difference with even if im running at 3200mhz or 2133mhz they are ram hungry and need more capacity to load enormous amounts of data in it. I tried to pair my 3000mhz with a friends 3200mhz trident z and run both of them at 2133mhz and it worked fine. but i cant say it would do the same for the long run as i was too afraid to test it for days together.

vish1756

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
Either buy a new kit of 32gb ram, or buy another identical kit as your current one.
if i buy a similar kit.. will i be able to set both of them to 3000mhz by chosing and xmp profile if wanna game at anytime or will it be safer to remove one of the kits and then game with one of the kits as 16gb proves enough for games.

TRENDING THREADS