Using HDD in conjunction with SDD

WarriorMP

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Hello All,

First let me tell you what I have then I'll move in to my question.
My current configuration is: Asus Sabertooth X79 MoBo, Intel i7 3820, OCZ SSD @250gig, Seagate 1T HDD (other pariferals are otherwise unimportant as they don't directly effect or are directly related to my question.)

Both the SSD and HDD were clean and new when installed, I installed my OS (Windows 7 Professional) on the OCZ SSD and was initially using the 1T HDD as a "mass storage" decvice. What I want to know is:
Can I (and how would I go about doing so...) install my OS on the HDD while also keeping it on the SSD and still boot from the SSD?? I currently run everything from mundane apps to team speak and dcs flight sim on the SSD however, I would rather run those programs that don't really require a lot of "pre-fetching" like TS3, Adobe C6, and other games that I'm not really concerned with performance, on the HDD freeing up space on the SSD; but still be able to access and run "through" the SSD as that would be my primary boot device and OS.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

If you want to install Windows on the HDD, would be as simple as just re-formatting it, ujnplugging the SSD and going through a normal Windows install. Then in the BIOS just set the SSD as your primary boot.

However you don't need to do that to install programs on the HDD. When installing programs, it will ask where you want it too install, with C: as default, just tell it to go to the HDD. Programs will run fine from there.

WarriorMP

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Thanks for your fast response.
I had thought as much about disconnecting the SSD but also thought I could change the primary boot with out doing that (although unplugging sounds easier)
On your second option (not to sound "stupid" here), programs "will run fine" from the HDD even though it has no OS? it's just mass storage?

When installing an OS, you only want the drive your installing too connected. Windows has a bad habit of putting files on additional drives during install, which it then kicks up a fuss about if they go missing.

Yep, they will run just fine. I'v got Adobe CS6, Steam and a couple of games and utilities running off my storage drive just fine. Your OS "runs" the program yes, but it doesn't need to be located on C: to do that.

WarriorMP

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
OutStanding! Thank you for the insight. As it happens I tried your suggestion earlier and found that it works so I'll keep it that way. Now it's just a matter of transfering those files. Thought I could get away with just moving them then changing the "target" and "start-in" file to reflect "E/:" but...that didn't work.
Thanks again though for your help.

WarriorMP

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Well, no... not exactly. I'm refering to the actual "file location". Since it was originally installed on the SSD. I tried relocating the file itself (to the HDD) then changing the "target" line and "start in" line from "C/:" to "E/:"(under properties in the short cut) but I belive since it was originally installed on the SSD in "Program Files (x86) the link becomes broken and the "short cut" no longer works.
So "uninstalling" the program and then reinstalling it but changing the location from "C/:" to "E/:" ("E/:" being the Extended mass storage) would be in order.