Question Using HDMI port with 1080p graphic card in old TV with only 720p

Lukman Hakim

Honorable
Jun 21, 2014
Hello guys! I have a question.

I have a pc with AMD Radeon R9 280 with display setting at 1080p. And an old LG TV with 720p and have a hdmi port.

When I connect my pc to this TV with hdmi, first it show when in booting logo, but then it suddenly black.

I know, it because my pc are at the 1080p display setting, but my TV is just 720p.

So my question is, how can I use this TV with my pc? I don't mind running it in 720p. I just want first log in to my pc, and change the setting to 720p.

I tried to log in to safe mode, uninstall driver with another TV, and use my LG TV again with no driver, install a new graphic driver, and BOOM! It goes black screen again after the install.

Btw I'm at win 10.

Please help🙏

popatim

Titan
Can you enter safe mode and see it on the TV? If so try setting the refresh rate to 24hz/23.9hz instead of (probably) 60 and see if that's the issue.
I would think the TV is smart enough to downsample the image just like it would for a 1080 dvd so I'm thinking this is a refresh rate issue.

Lukman Hakim

Honorable
Jun 21, 2014
Can you enter safe mode and see it on the TV? If so try setting the refresh rate to 24hz/23.9hz instead of (probably) 60 and see if that's the issue.
I would think the TV is smart enough to downsample the image just like it would for a 1080 dvd so I'm thinking this is a refresh rate issue.
Thanks for the answer!

I can enter safe mode with usb bootable, I try to change the resolution there but then the amd radeon setting is not detect because in safe mode it just only a default setting.

How to do the refresh rate setting? What menu I have to access?

Btw my TV is very old enough :disrelieved: