[SOLVED] Using HK Sim Card's ip address abroad possible?

Dec 31, 2019
Hello,

I'm using a Hong Kong Sim Card (in Hong Kong) to log into some ip address sensitive websites to manage business stuff.

Soon I need to travel and I'd like to keep using the same sim card abroad but with the ip address location from Hong Kong (and not from the country I'll be in).

Is that possible? And if yes, how?

Thanks

Solution
Not unless the cell provider has towers in the other country and even then I don't think it is possible.

Even though you may think the IP address is yours it is actually owned by the ISP. Other ISP know which IP blocks are owned by which ISP and will send them to that ISP.

When you are on a different ISP you will have different IP blocks. Even if you somehow managed to get a IP from your current ISP assigned to your device all the other ISP would still send any data to the ISP that actually owns the block.

This is all done to make the network more stable.

Even within your ISP you likely have different IP blocks based on which tower you connect to. The ISP within their own network assigns smaller blocks to different parts...
Not unless the cell provider has towers in the other country and even then I don't think it is possible.

Even though you may think the IP address is yours it is actually owned by the ISP. Other ISP know which IP blocks are owned by which ISP and will send them to that ISP.

When you are on a different ISP you will have different IP blocks. Even if you somehow managed to get a IP from your current ISP assigned to your device all the other ISP would still send any data to the ISP that actually owns the block.

This is all done to make the network more stable.

Even within your ISP you likely have different IP blocks based on which tower you connect to. The ISP within their own network assigns smaller blocks to different parts to make things more efficient so even if you had a international ISP they likely would use different blocks in different countries.

The only way to solve this is to use a vpn provider that has a location in hong kong. Then it does not matter what ip your device actually has you will always be using the VPN provider IP. If the servers are yours you are better off setting up a vpn yourself. The authentication used in activating the VPN is going to be much more secure than some simple restriction on ip blocks.

Solution