Question Using HP Prodesk 600 G1 TWR's case with non-proprietary motherboard and PSU

Jun 19, 2019
Hi there,
I have a HP Prodesk 600 G1 TWR with a broken motherboard. Finding a new motherboard is almost impossible in my country, so I decided to replace it with a standard motherboard (i.e. ASUS H81M-K). Then I have noticed that PSU is also incompatible, so I have to replace it also!
Ok, fair enough. I'll just use the case of this HP. But I wonder, is this computer's case compatible with standard motherboards, at least? Do panel/usb/earphone connectors work with a standard motherboard? Second, does screw holes fit?

Here is a ASUS H81M-K image in high quality:
aa6b0b457f.jpeg

HP mobo:
aac9ec00a7.jpeg

Here are the photos of connectors and their sockets on HP mobo:
aa6ac08039.jpeg

PS: Even though they fit, I'm afraid of frying the new mobo. Is it a possibility?
Thanks,
Hüseyin

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I can't see your pictures, not sure where you hosted those, but my computer doesn't like it.

Hmm, motherboard has standard ATX screw layout. But I don't think it has a standard ATX power supply mount. Looks narrower. Usually one offset screw, these are symmetrical.

I would probably go ahead and pick up a cheap ATX mid tower so you don't have to worry about front panel connectors. They are usually fairly standard, but the OEMs like to mix it up a bit with the power and reset, and occasionally audio. Sometimes they'll merge them into one connector. They don't often do USB differently though.

You might also need a CPU cooler, that one looks custom to the motherboard as well.

Effectively you are just keeping the CPU and RAM, and drives at this point, you'll likely have to install and even purchase Windows. Effectively building an all new computer.

Jun 19, 2019
I can't see your pictures, not sure where you hosted those, but my computer doesn't like it.

Hmm, motherboard has standard ATX screw layout. But I don't think it has a standard ATX power supply mount. Looks narrower. Usually one offset screw, these are symmetrical.

I would probably go ahead and pick up a cheap ATX mid tower so you don't have to worry about front panel connectors. They are usually fairly standard, but the OEMs like to mix it up a bit with the power and reset, and occasionally audio. Sometimes they'll merge them into one connector. They don't often do USB differently though.

You might also need a CPU cooler, that one looks custom to the motherboard as well.

Effectively you are just keeping the CPU and RAM, and drives at this point, you'll likely have to install and even purchase Windows. Effectively building an all new computer.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. I've fixed the photos. Also I guess you are right, I also need a new cooler! This looks much like Apple's design philosophy: it becomes a complete garbage as soon as a single component breaks down.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
With the pictures it looks like the USB 3.0, Audio, and fans are standard. As well as the yellow USB connector. The media connector goes to a card slot or something?

PB_LED is likely the power and reset switches and stuff, that would have to be tested and wired by hand I would imagine.

Those systems are targeted at businesses. Intended to get a company stuck re-ordering parts or setting up maintenance contracts. Most consumer oriented desktops have more standard fans and power supplies and things.

Apple does it direct to consumer. Though that is true of everyone when it comes to laptops.