Using I5-6600 stock cooler with I7-7700K?

Johannes_8

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
Hey guys. So I've just gotten an I7 7700K and replacing my I5-6600. I'm not going to overclock so I'm wondering if I can save a bit of money and use the stock cooler from my I5 on the I7. Are all the intel stock coolers the same?

Solution
It will physically fit and you can use it. But should you? Personally, I would not.

The i7-7700K has a higher 91W-TDP and produces more heat, thus, needs better cooling to dissipate such. The Intel stock coolers are less than mediocre and are meant for non-K Intel CPUs which has relatively low TDP (~65W), but, even then, the performance of that cooler is not great (noisy and mid-high temps). So, even without OC'ing your i7-7700K, you'd probably hover around high 60C - 80C/90C under load. Note that it won't damage your CPU, but it's really gonna be hot and the fans will be very very loud (pushes it to its limits).

If I were you, I'd spend a couple of bucks for a better air cooler such as:

PCPartPicker...
It will physically fit and you can use it. But should you? Personally, I would not.

The i7-7700K has a higher 91W-TDP and produces more heat, thus, needs better cooling to dissipate such. The Intel stock coolers are less than mediocre and are meant for non-K Intel CPUs which has relatively low TDP (~65W), but, even then, the performance of that cooler is not great (noisy and mid-high temps). So, even without OC'ing your i7-7700K, you'd probably hover around high 60C - 80C/90C under load. Note that it won't damage your CPU, but it's really gonna be hot and the fans will be very very loud (pushes it to its limits).

If I were you, I'd spend a couple of bucks for a better air cooler such as:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $34.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-09 21:48 EDT-0400

Solution

Johannes_8

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016

I just found a Hyper 212 evo available in my store, so Im just gonna pick that one up soon. Thanks for the help though.