Question Using integrated gpu to display, but dedicated for generating image

Hiddenus

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2014
Hello.

As GPU prices are going down, I thought of buying RTX 3060, buuut... My monitor uses VGA/DVI-D. Which means this card won't be able to send image signal to said monitor.
I am unable to buy both GPU and new monitor that has ok. specs at the same time.

So I thought using integrated graphics to send image to display, but dedicated gpu generate it.
Sort of making integrated a mere bridge between dedicated and monitor.

I tried to formulate that question in a way google would give me answer, but failed miserably.

I'm not considering any performance drop just yet, that I could experiment with what I already have, but I'd like to know how to do it first.

Hiddenus

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2014
Nope. It doesn't work that way. Whatever the display cable is plugged into is what is going to get used for GPU operations.

What you CAN do is get an HDMI or Displayport to DVI-D adapter.
Oh... That's actually even better, because I suspected my idea might involve more cables. I guess I'll wait to next month to buy both such adapter and gpu. Thanks!

Hello.

As GPU prices are going down, I thought of buying RTX 3060, buuut... My monitor uses VGA/DVI-D. Which means this card won't be able to send image signal to said monitor.
I am unable to buy both GPU and new monitor that has ok. specs at the same time.

So I thought using integrated graphics to send image to display, but dedicated gpu generate it.
Sort of making integrated a mere bridge between dedicated and monitor.

I tried to formulate that question in a way google would give me answer, but failed miserably.

I'm not considering any performance drop just yet, that I could experiment with what I already have, but I'd like to know how to do it first.
Nope. It doesn't work that way. Whatever the display cable is plugged into is what is going to get used for GPU operations.

What you CAN do is get an HDMI or Displayport to DVI-D adapter.
It very much does work this way. For win 10 and later.
No matter which one, i or dGPU ,you have connected to the monitor you can tell windows to use whichever GPU you want for each game.
That said, yes, a converter is the better choice.
use-high-performance-gpu.png

That's new to me aside from on laptops. Not sure how that's supposed to work, especially if you have a motherboard that doesn't have the ability to output the same spec as your graphics card is generating. Say, a motherboard with only HDMI 1.2 capability while you're trying to generate output that requires HDMI 2.0 from the graphics card and send it out through the iGPU. I just don't believe that can do that. And I don't see those settings on either my Windows 10 or 11 machines, both of which have discreet cards and Intel integrated graphics on the CPU. My laptop, sure, been able to do that for ages, but that's a totally different pipe configuration than with a desktop.

If so, then neat. Never seen or heard it before. But as you said, still a better idea to output through the card itself. Probably start tossing in some additional latency and lag using the board to output anyhow.

That's new to me aside from on laptops. Not sure how that's supposed to work, especially if you have a motherboard that doesn't have the ability to output the same spec as your graphics card is generating. Say, a motherboard with only HDMI 1.2 capability while you're trying to generate output that requires HDMI 2.0 from the graphics card and send it out through the iGPU. I just don't believe that can do that. And I don't see those settings on either my Windows 10 or 11 machines, both of which have discreet cards and Intel integrated graphics on the CPU. My laptop, sure, been able to do that for ages, but that's a totally different pipe configuration than with a desktop.

If so, then neat. Never seen or heard it before. But as you said, still a better idea to output through the card itself. Probably start tossing in some additional latency and lag using the board to output anyhow.
Yeah obviously you will be limited by the quality of output plug of the mobo, but for basic 1080p/60 anything should do.
The integrated needs to be connected to a monitor for windows to pick it up, other than just being enabled in bios.
I have an i and a d gpu and two monitors and use this ability once in a while if I want to play a game on the monitor that is connected to the igpu.
Ka87GNV.jpg

It is possible and Linus used the same thing in this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY4s35uULg4

The GPU does not even have outputs.

Hiddenus

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2014
It very much does work this way. For win 10 and later.
No matter which one, i or dGPU ,you have connected to the monitor you can tell windows to use whichever GPU you want for each game.
That said, yes, a converter is the better choice.
use-high-performance-gpu.png
lol your gpus are the same as mine. :D Well my Intel one is 630, but I see you're part of 980Ti club :D

TRENDING THREADS