Jan 2, 2023
Hello everyone :)

I just joined just to ask this question, even though I've been part of the shadow nation for years.

I currently study in Belgium, and the prices of energy are skyrocketing to obscene levels for the little money I have.
I had managed to save up little by little for two years in order to be able to afford the very computer that I'm writing this post on:

32 gigs of ram, a Ryzen 5700G (the G will be the main topic) and an RTX 3060TI

I do not mind my CPU eating up quite a lot of power under load, it is its job after all - merely acting upon whatever stupid thing I have decided to do today. I chose this CPU, knowing full well that it would make the electricity bill a lil' bit heavier - it's part of the deal.

I do mind however that win11 uses my RTX 3060TI to render youtube, my desktop, parsec and so on when I'm sure that the integrated graphics would be up to the task.
This may very well be a facepalm question, I may be asking the equivalent to "how do I change a lightbulb? Please send help!" to my fellow humans, but is there a way to use the integrated graphics for everything but games and cad?
I mean, I just reset the counters on OpenHardwareMonitor and during the writing of this post my RTX has used on average 17 watts and spiked at 41.5W (nothing 3D rendered, pure 2D & video processing on open tabs that are not even running the videos).

Just in case, current display method: cheap 4K monitor running on HDMI 2.0 (plugged onto the ... GPU - hence the "might be a moronic question" part)

Is there any way to make my computer understand that at this rate I won't be able to afford (already cannot ^^) to keep it mostly "always" on and that I will have to heavily rely on WoL scripts running from my pi4 among other things?

Many thanks in advance ;)

Press the windows key and start typing 'graphics' go to the system settings that will be the first result and change everything you want to over to the iGPU.
You will have to do this for each item individually sadly, the only other way would be to change the main display to the one the iGPU is connected to but for a laptop that is pretty much not an option.

I doubt you will see a lot of improvement since the amd iGPUs don't have dedicated hardware accelerators and do everything through brute force.

Adjusting the performance level within nvidia control panel might have an equal or maybe even better effect.

Reactions: pixelsafoison
Jan 2, 2023
Press the windows key and start typing 'graphics' go to the system settings that will be the first result and change everything you want to over to the iGPU.
You will have to do this for each item individually sadly, the only other way would be to change the main display to the one the iGPU is connected to but for a laptop that is pretty much not an option.

I doubt you will see a lot of improvement since the amd iGPUs don't have dedicated hardware accelerators and do everything through brute force.

Adjusting the performance level within nvidia control panel might have an equal or maybe even better effect.

Worked like a charm :3, now my RTX is left mostly alone - I want to use as many tasks as possible through the iGPU, only ... well... stuff that REQUIRES a GPU to run.

I did also put explorer.exe in there to run through the iGPU.

Jan 2, 2023
Update:
Also shut down the PC and plugged the HDMI onto the iGPU - now it's MUCH better. My RTX3060TI is being left mostly alone. Me happy :)

Thank you immensely fellow human :)