[SOLVED] Using Intel UHD630 with Nvidia GPU

ASonic

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2013
So I have a vga monitor that doesn't work with 1070 gtx without an adapter, and the adapter is a bit crappy so I just plugged in into the motherboards VGA slot and seems like my mobo supports multiple GPUs. The intel does the visuals, Nvidia does the rendering. The question is, is this safe? Any drawbacks to running the system like this? Latency? Other problems other than not being able to use Nvidia panel for display options?

Solution
Unless this is a laptop we are talking about (and it doesn't sound like it), the NVIDIA and the integrated GPU are not related. Rendering for the motherboard video port is done by the integrated GPU in the CPU. You could unplug the NVIDIA and nothing would change.
In windows 10 you can choose to have the motherboard output connected to monitor and the discrete GPU to render and pass the signal from that.
I have tested it and it works. Also it's what Linus did using a mining GPU with NO outputs in this video:
View: https://youtu.be/TY4s35uULg4

kanewolf

Titan
So I have a vga monitor that doesn't work with 1070 gtx without an adapter, and the adapter is a bit crappy so I just plugged in into the motherboards VGA slot and seems like my mobo supports multiple GPUs. The intel does the visuals, Nvidia does the rendering. The question is, is this safe? Any drawbacks to running the system like this? Latency? Other problems other than not being able to use Nvidia panel for display options?
Unless this is a laptop we are talking about (and it doesn't sound like it), the NVIDIA and the integrated GPU are not related. Rendering for the motherboard video port is done by the integrated GPU in the CPU. You could unplug the NVIDIA and nothing would change.

In windows 10 you can choose to have the motherboard output connected to monitor and the discrete GPU to render and pass the signal from that.
I have tested it and it works. Also it's what Linus did using a mining GPU with NO outputs in this video:
View: https://youtu.be/TY4s35uULg4

Solution
Assuming this is a desktop, you can do this, but by default Windows will use the Intel GPU since the monitor is connected to it. You have to go into Settings -> System -> Display -> Graphics Settings and select per app which GPU to use.

ASonic

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2013
I'm not kidding guys, it is using the Geforce for rendering and Intel for output. I can play games in 60 fps. When I manually disable the 1070 in device manager the games go down to the integrated GPU levels.

The question wasn't if it's possible or not, the question was if it was safe to do and if it would add latency or any unwanted issues.

I'm not kidding guys, it is using the Geforce for rendering and Intel for output. I can play games in 60 fps. When I manually disable the 1070 in device manager the games go down to the integrated GPU levels.

The question wasn't if it's possible or not, the question was if it was safe to do and if it would add latency or any unwanted issues.
Is it safe to do? I don't see why it wouldn't be. Laptops do this all the time.

Would it add latency? Of course, the frame buffer has to be transferred to the iGPU's VRAM pool.