Using internal optical drive outside of the computer case

Jul 22, 2018
MESSAGE TO THE MODS: Please move this topic if it is in the wrong place. The forum does not seem to have a location for optical drive posts.

Hi everyone. This is my first post to the forum so I apologise if I've done something wrong.

I want to use an internal SATA optical drive outside my PC. It is designed to be mounted inside a computer case but I want to use it bare on the desk. Could using it in this way put the drive at risk of damage, for example from electrostatic discharge or electromagnetic interference? I am NOT concerned about physical damage such as knocks and scratches.

Alternatively, I could purchase (at a significant cost of about £50) an external enclosure for the drive. Does the external enclosure provide any meaningful protection against these two potential sources of damage to the drive? Again, I am NOT concerned about physical damage.

- Please do not ask me to explain why I want to use the drive in this way, as that doesn't help answer the question.
- I fully understand the disadvantages of using a USB to SATA controller but they do not apply in my case as I don't require high transfer speeds.

Solution

I see zero difference in an otherwise internal drive on your desk, or that same internal drive in a metal USB enclosure.
Jul 22, 2018

I should have explained in my original post but I require a blu-ray burner drive, rather than a DVD drive. I didn't want to mention this because I didn't want to be told to "just get Netflix" or similar. These are significantly more expensive which rules out buying an dedicated external drive for me. I already have an internal one which works well and I would like to continue using it. Powered USB to SATA controller cables are much cheaper than a proper 5.25 inch external enclosure so it would be preferable if I could use the drive without an enclosure without causing damage to the drive such as from ESD.

Questions:
1. Are optical drives susceptible to ESD damage?
2. And could touching the metal of a bare optical drive while it is running cause damage to other components in my computer?

Again, physical damage is not a concern to me.

Jul 22, 2018

I intend to use a controller like this one...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Converter-Adapter-Cable-included/dp/B006J2L0ZM/

It comes supplied with a 12V 2A power adapter and searching the amazon reviews seems to show other people have had success playing blu-rays with this controller, so I'm not too concerned about the "how will I connect it all up" side of things.

I will attach four self-adhesive rubber feet to the bottom of the drive to dampen vibrations and reduce noise but I wouldn't have thought that these would provide any additional ESD protection compared to just putting the drive on a bare wooden or plastic table...

You say that optical drives are no more susceptible to ESD damage than anything else. Does that mean I would need to wear an anti static wrist strap etc every time I put a film in the drive? I wore one as a matter of good practice when assembling my PC but that would be very inconvenient. Would I run the risk of causing damage to my drive by not wearing one or is the issue overhyped?

Jul 22, 2018

Interesting. So touching the drive with my skin in day to day operation wouldn't cause a problem, the source of ESD would have to be something much stronger?

Thanks for all your help and patience.

USAFRet

Titan

I see zero difference in an otherwise internal drive on your desk, or that same internal drive in a metal USB enclosure.

Solution