Using Linksys WAP54G as a repeater

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

I have seven computers connected to my Linksys WRT54G wireless router and
almost everyhting has been working great. One system, however, is just a tad
too far from the router and is located in the gameroom three floors down...
so sometimes it just doesn't want to connect.

I would like to add a range expander but have read too many bad reports
about the Linksys WRE54G. Instead, I've heard that the WAP54G wireless
access point is fast and performs well in a wide area, and that Linksys has
updated the firmware so that the device can now act as a repeater on the
same network (in other words, it doesn't have to be connected via ethernet
cable) to expand a network.

Is this true, and has anyone tried it? How hard is it to set up the WAP54G
as a repeater?

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:04:40 -0400, Hackworth spoketh

>updated the firmware so that the device can now act as a repeater on the
>same network (in other words, it doesn't have to be connected via ethernet
>cable) to expand a network.
>
>Is this true, and has anyone tried it? How hard is it to set up the WAP54G
>as a repeater?

I haven't tried it, but there is a repeater mode on the WAP54G, which,
from what I can read, is what you're looking for. It can connect to
another WAP54G or an WRT54G. It should be easy enough to set up, but it
might need to be connected to the wired network at least during the
initial setup. Setup should only be a matter of setting matching SSIDs
and channels as well as the LAN MAC address of the device you want to
"repeat".

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

"Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:04:40 -0400, Hackworth spoketh
>
>>updated the firmware so that the device can now act as a repeater on the
>>same network (in other words, it doesn't have to be connected via ethernet
>>cable) to expand a network.
>>
>>Is this true, and has anyone tried it? How hard is it to set up the WAP54G
>>as a repeater?
>>

> I haven't tried it, but there is a repeater mode on the WAP54G, which,
> from what I can read, is what you're looking for. It can connect to
> another WAP54G or an WRT54G. It should be easy enough to set up, but it
> might need to be connected to the wired network at least during the
> initial setup. Setup should only be a matter of setting matching SSIDs
> and channels as well as the LAN MAC address of the device you want to
> "repeat".

I did some digging around Linksys' site this weekend--didn't have time to do
much digging at work when I posted the question--so for the benefit of
anyone in the group who may be interested, here's how to do it:

https://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=231

Looks like I'll be ordering a WAP54G tomorrow.

"Hackworth" <NoSpam4Me@spamless.net> wrote in message news:<I8mdnWtBZd48QezcRVn-iw@comcast.com>...
> "Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:04:40 -0400, Hackworth spoketh
> >
> >>updated the firmware so that the device can now act as a repeater on the
> >>same network (in other words, it doesn't have to be connected via ethernet
> >>cable) to expand a network.
> >>
> >>Is this true, and has anyone tried it? How hard is it to set up the WAP54G
> >>as a repeater?
> >>

> > I haven't tried it, but there is a repeater mode on the WAP54G, which,
> > from what I can read, is what you're looking for. It can connect to
> > another WAP54G or an WRT54G. It should be easy enough to set up, but it
> > might need to be connected to the wired network at least during the
> > initial setup. Setup should only be a matter of setting matching SSIDs
> > and channels as well as the LAN MAC address of the device you want to
> > "repeat".
>

> I did some digging around Linksys' site this weekend--didn't have time to do
> much digging at work when I posted the question--so for the benefit of
> anyone in the group who may be interested, here's how to do it:
>
> https://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=231
>
> Looks like I'll be ordering a WAP54G tomorrow.

I tried connecting the two access points in the bridge mode. I had two
routers at two ends and another two access points at both the ends
making a bridge between two networks. I had also used high gain
antennas to make it a long distance wireless and it all worked great.