[SOLVED] Using lower TDP Processor on higher TDP Motherboard

Sep 5, 2021
Hello!

As the the heading suggests, I have read people using higher TDP processors on motherboards with lower TDP, like using i7 65W on motherboard supporting 45W which causes throttling but it works.

But my question is opposite of this. Can we use Processor having 35W TDP on a motherboard having TDP of 45W ?

Please help me with some answers:

Q1.) Will it cause any issues to Processor or will it run normally (and at full capacity) ?
Q2.) The chip wont get burnt/crash due to higher TDP input from processor right ?
Q3). Also, can it run at its full capacity and still register lower temps than the previous processor having 45W TDP ?

Thinking of changing processor but want to be sure so that buying a new chip wont go in vain.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hello!

As the the heading suggests, I have read people using higher TDP processors on motherboards with lower TDP, like using i7 65W on motherboard supporting 45W which causes throttling but it works.

But my question is opposite of this. Can we use Processor having 35W TDP on a motherboard having TDP of 45W ?

Please help me with some answers:

Q1.) Will it cause any issues to Processor or will it run normally (and at full capacity) ?
Q2.) The chip wont get burnt/crash due to higher TDP input from processor right ?
Q3). Also, can it run at its full capacity and still register lower temps than the previous processor having 45W TDP ?

Thinking of changing processor but want to be sure so that buying a new chip wont go in vain.

CPUs draw power, they don't have a static amount of power provided to them. A sports car with a top speed of 200 mph has no trouble going 45 mph.

However, motherboard compatibility isn't always clean for other reasons, so you would have to be more specific to get an exact answer on compatibility.

Reactions: SamirD
Sep 5, 2021
What the exact model?

CPUs draw power, they don't have a static amount of power provided to them. A sports car with a top speed of 200 mph has no trouble going 45 mph.

However, motherboard compatibility isn't always clean for other reasons, so you would have to be more specific to get an exact answer on compatibility.

Hello @rgd1101 @DSzymborski ,

Sorry for the long posts but I am trying to explain as much as I can.

This is related to my other question (please read it once if possible): Question - HP Envy 15 Laptop Shutting down just after boot | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

Before discarding my laptop thinking it is a motherboard issue, I wanted to check if replacing Processor would help tackle/fix issue as the laptop worked fine in front of AC. (and 1 more user poseted on sprus*r that changing CPU fixed his issue in which his system was failing even in BIOS, just like mine)

I went through laptop manual and as the device has MQ series chip, it can be replaced as it is screwed rather than being soldiered.

My laptop's official Guide (c03733656.pdf (hp.com) ) states the list of processors compatible with the motherboard (page 85):

1. Intel Quad Core i7-4900MQ 2.80-GHz processor (SC turbo up to 3.80-GHz; 1600-MHz FSB,8.0-MB L3 cache, 47 W)
  2. Intel Quad Core i7-4800MQ 2.70-GHz processor (SC turbo up to 3.70-GHz; 1600-MHz FSB,6.0-MB L3 cache, 47 W)
  3. Intel Quad Core i7-4702MQ 2.20-GHz processor (SC turbo up to 3.20-GHz; 1600-MHz FSB,6.0-MB L3 cache, 37 W)
  4. Intel Quad Core i7-4700MQ 2.40-GHz processor (SC turbo up to 3.40-GHz; 1600-MHz FSB,6.0-MB L3 cache, 47 W)
  5. Intel Dual Core i5-3380M 2.90-GHz processor (SC turbo up to 3.60-GHz; 1600-MHz FSB; 3.0-MB L3 cache, 35 W)
  6. Intel Dual Core i5-3230M 2.60-GHz processor (SC turbo up to 3.20-GHz; 1600-MHz FSB, 3.0-MB L3 cache, 35 W)
  7. Intel Dual Core i3-3130M 2.60-GHz processor (1600-MHz FSB, 3.0-MB L3 cache, 35 W)
  8. Intel Dual Core i5-3120M 2.40-GHz processor (1600-MHz FSB, 3.0-MB L3 cache, 35 W

Along with this, I was backing up my data from laptop (while keeping it in front of an AC), I installed and ran CPU-Z. These are the details:

Package: Socket 947 rPGA
TDP: 47.0W
Southbridge: Intel HM87
Processor: i7-4700MQ

So, I check Intel ark website to see the socket: Intel Core i74700MQ Processor 6M Cache up to 3.40 GHz Product Specifications
which came out to be FCPGA946.

This is why I asked the question regarding CPU as I am not sure about the availability of these processors. I will try to find 4700MQ/4800MQ but if they are not available in my country, then I might have to go with i5/4702MQ which have TDP of 35/37 respectively.

I just wanted to confirm if adding lower TDP chips to motherboard wont fry it.

Sep 5, 2021
It should work it it is on the

I suspected the same, but I wanted to understand if the processor will limit its TDP to 35 and wont go above it so that it wont fry itself.
There were 15+ models of same laptop (amd /intel included, with/without touchscreen display, different Nvidia GPUs) and so, I was under confusion that they would have different set of motherboards which might lead to different TDPs

Also, can you please provide your thoughtful comment on Question - HP Envy 15 Laptop Shutting down just after boot | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com) issue ?

I am really confused (and scared) about the laptop.

Last edited:
Changing to a lower powered i5 shouldn't be an issue. One thing you could try if you can get into the bios and see anything properly is see if you can limit the number of cores to just 1--this should also reduce the heat created by the i7 and possibly help the issue.

Sep 5, 2021
Changing to a lower powered i5 shouldn't be an issue. One thing you could try if you can get into the bios and see anything properly is see if you can limit the number of cores to just 1--this should also reduce the heat created by the i7 and possibly help the issue.

BIOS of my laptop is quite basic, still I will see if the number of cores can be set..

I think all processors have their own safeguards so that even if motherboards try to pass more Wattage to the CPU, it resists as uses only the max TDP set for it (if not overclocked)

Last edited:
BIOS of my laptop is quite basic, still I will see if the number of cores can be set..

I think all processors have their own safeguards so that even if motherboards try to pass more Wattage to the CPU, it resists as uses only the max TDP set for it (if not overclocked)
Yeah, I expect that you won't be able to adjust it, but sometimes there is an option somewhere.

It's actually the other way around--a cpu will only draw as many amps as it needs, and hence watts since w=voltage x amps. This is why overclocked generally will generate more heat because more amps and volts are usually required for an oc and that generates more watts and more heat.