[SOLVED] Using M.2 as boot drive with PCIe

Nov 15, 2018
Hi!
So I recently bought the Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD for my pc, just to find out that my motherboard M.2 slot didn't support it, and I created a bottleneck instead.
Then I bought an M.2 to PCIe adapter for it, as it should work with that.
After a lot of work with BIOS and discmanagement I got the M.2 SSD to show inside "My Computer."

My problem is that BIOS won't recognize it as a boot drive (actually not recognize it at all,) and as the main reason that I bought it, was as a boot drive, it now sucks that it won't show.

I've tried to follow a lot of different guides, that I've found (also on the forum,) but none of them seem to work.

My boot drive is a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB
My motherboard: ASUS Z97-A (socket 1150) with the 2018 BIOS update for it
PCIe adapter: StarTech.com x4 PCI Express to M.2 PCIe SSD Adapter Card - for M.2 NGFF SSD
M.2 SSD: Samsung SSD 970 PRO 512GB

If needed so, I will provide more information.
I really hope that someone will be able to help me out.

Best regards,
Birk

Solution
Not all Z97 boards, even with a recent BIOS, can use an NVMe in a PCIe slot as the boot drive.
I know my ASRock won't do it.

Does the BIOS update, or any other documentation, for yours specifically refer to having that function?

USAFRet

Titan
Not all Z97 boards, even with a recent BIOS, can use an NVMe in a PCIe slot as the boot drive.
I know my ASRock won't do it.

Does the BIOS update, or any other documentation, for yours specifically refer to having that function?

Solution