Question Using Mainboard Graphics' Port Instead of the VGA Ports. Does it affect performance?

blue_rays

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2014
CPU: i7-3770K
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V
VGA: GTX 950 (Gigabyte W2F OC)

I have a monitor with D-Sub but my VGA doesn't have this port. I've connected my VGA to the monitor using a DVI to D-Sub Adapter. As there is an D-Sub port on my mainboard, I was wondering if I could use it to connect to my monitor but I'm worry about the performance as it may use the integrated graphics instead of the VGA card or if it may affect the performance.
Does it make my system to use i7-3770k integrated graphics instead of my discrete GTX 950 VGA card if I connect my monitor to D-Sub port on my mainboard? Or it will continue to compute using GTX 950 and does not affect the performance?

In Windows you can tell it which GPU to use in Settings -> System -> Display -> Graphics, as seen here:
QsRDqBI.png

Reactions: blue_rays

blue_rays

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2014
In Windows you can tell it which GPU to use in Settings -> System -> Display -> Graphics, as seen here:
QsRDqBI.png
That was interesting to know about this feature but there is not any other option than my VGA card there. I think I've installed the driver for Intel 4000 graphics and it's enabled in bios (There is an option called iGPU I think). Do you know what could be the reason? I'm checking for the other reasons before reinstalling the intel 4000 driver as it may mess up with the installed VGA card's driver.

That was interesting to know about this feature but there is not any other option than my VGA card there. I think I've installed the driver for Intel 4000 graphics and it's enabled in bios (There is an option called iGPU I think). Do you know what could be the reason? I'm checking for the other reasons before reinstalling the intel 4000 driver as it may mess up with the installed VGA card's driver.
Have you already connected your monitor to the mobo port?
Unless there is something connected to the iGPU it will not show up since there is nothing connected for it to display anything on.
The iGPU driver can not mess with your main driver.

TRENDING THREADS