[SOLVED] Using Molex Adaptors to power gpu

May 2, 2020
hey guys so quick question my current psu has a single 6pin and a single 8pin however my gpu requires 2 6pin pcie connectors so i was wondering if it would be okay if i used the 6pin from my psu and the other half would be from a 2xmolex to 6pin adapter

Solution
Yikes, I wouldn't use this dodgy off-brand PSU in any PC, let alone one with a GPU that needs multiple supplementary power connectors. I sure as sugar wouldn't add a second fire hazard in a Molex adapter to a PSU that's already a fire hazard.

Hard no here. Consider yourself fortunate you don't have the proper cabling because you might have quickly not had a GPU otherwise...or a PC.
May 2, 2020
Never use cables extension like molex.. get a decent psu..
Let's see the cable and exact power supply. An 8-pin PCIE cable that isn't a 6+2 pin is uncommon.
Let's see the cable and exact power supply. An 8-pin PCIE cable that isn't a 6+2 pin is uncommon.
mk1LdZ.jpg

this is my 8pin

May 2, 2020
Yup, that doesn't appear to be a PCIE cable.

Spsgx.png

If that's not a PCIE cable, if you plug that in, you may no longer have a GPU.

Again, what's the exact power supply? I asked this question for very specific reasons.
Ky8YMd.jpg

this is my current psu, sorry for the delay

7fHbsX.jpg

these are the 6pin and 8pin

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yikes, I wouldn't use this dodgy off-brand PSU in any PC, let alone one with a GPU that needs multiple supplementary power connectors. I sure as sugar wouldn't add a second fire hazard in a Molex adapter to a PSU that's already a fire hazard.

Hard no here. Consider yourself fortunate you don't have the proper cabling because you might have quickly not had a GPU otherwise...or a PC.

Solution
May 2, 2020

Hard no here.
does using a ups make a difference tho i bought this powersupply because my fsp broke down in the middle of quarantine here.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
does using a ups make a difference tho i bought this powersupply because my fsp broke down in the middle of quarantine here.

No. A UPS can't make a cheap, dangerous power supply into a safe one.

Quarantine or not, this has no business being used. If replacing a PSU during the quarantine is difficult, replacing and diagnosing other fried components will be even more so.

The box it came in is much more useful than the PSU is.

May 2, 2020
No. A UPS can't make a cheap, dangerous power supply into a safe one.

Quarantine or not, this has no business being used. If replacing a PSU during the quarantine is difficult, replacing and diagnosing other fried components will be even more so.

The box it came in is much more useful than the PSU is.
okay okay thank you dude but do you have any recommendations on a cheap budget psu? im running an a320 chip with 8gigs of ddr4 and an amd a8 9600

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
okay okay thank you dude but do you have any recommendations on a cheap budget psu? im running an a320 chip with 8gigs of ddr4 and an amd a8 9600

I'm not sure if people will agree with me, but you could go for the Corsair VS650. People say it's kinda bad, but I've been running it fine for 2 years, with the only problem being that cable management is pure hell due to it not being modular. It's also fairly cheap.

May 2, 2020
I'm not sure if people will agree with me, but you could go for the Corsair VS650. People say it's kinda bad, but I've been running it fine for 2 years, with the only problem being that cable management is pure hell due to it not being modular. It's also fairly cheap.
okay okay dude thanks for the suggestion ill look into it

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

If it's a new one without orange or green lettering, it's probably* absolutely fine for a build like this in a pinch.

* Probably because I still don't know the GPU, which is the key bit of information here

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
If it's a new one without orange or green lettering, it's probably* absolutely fine for a build like this in a pinch.

* Probably because I still don't know the GPU, which is the key bit of information here
VS series in general is fairly cheap.

I heard that the VS series wih the orange letters is pretty bad. But mine (with the orange letters) is holding up quite well :).