Question Using motherboard without case

Sep 19, 2019
So I'm building my own pc and currently I want to spend money on good components but that is not leaving me any space for buying a case.

So I was wondering is it safe to use motherboard and other components without a case for a certain time. Will it come to any electrical problems or something similar.

And if it's safe to use it that way how to set it, on which material etc...

PC Tailor

Dignified
Herald
You can, but is it recommended - no. You're leaving the motherboard open to dust, contamination, and potential damage.

Typically the case is one of the things that costs the least, so IMO, wait until you can afford what you want, then get it.

What is your overall budget and location? What current build have you planned?

Sep 19, 2019
You can, but is it recommended - no. You're leaving the motherboard open to dust, contamination, and potential damage.

Typically the case is one of the things that costs the least, so IMO, wait until you can afford what you want, then get it.

What is your overall budget and location? What current build have you planned?
Well I was going for a more expensive case because of esthetics and airflow.

MSI B450M gaming plus
8GB DDR4 HyperX Fury RGB 3200MHz
Ryzen 5 2600
Seasonic focus+ 550w gold fully modular
And later I was thinking about gtx 1070 8GB and some case.

I'm from Bosnia and Herzegovina and current build without a case and graphic card is costing me about 400euros.

I was thinking about holding motherboard on its box cuz it is anti static so there wont be any electrical problems. But I am not sure do I need to lift it up few cm from box

PC Tailor

Dignified
Herald
Well just remember you won't be able to run it anyway as your CPU does not have an integrated GPU. So it won't run without a graphics card anyway.

It won't have an issue running on the box, but you are leaving it open to the environment, potentially without adequate cooling, and leaving it open to damage.

Sep 19, 2019
Well just remember you won't be able to run it anyway as your CPU does not have an integrated GPU. So it won't run without a graphics card anyway.

It won't have an issue running on the box, but you are leaving it open to the environment, potentially without adequate cooling, and leaving it open to damage.
Oh I didnt even considered that I tought 2600x only doesn't have integrated graphics. Now I need to find another processor... Any recomendations ?

PC Tailor

Dignified
Herald
Well there are no Ryzen models above a 4 core count with an integrated GPU.
That and i know quite a few running the 2400G with no problem.

Alternative is Intel but their integrated graphics aren't great and usually more expensive for something equivalent. Ideally you're still better off saving up for a PC with everything that you need and buying in one go. Otherwise you'll spend more ugprading small elements.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS