Using my OEM 32 bit key to install a 64 bit win 7 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if its possible. Basically I bought an OEM copy of win 7 32bit. It was all that was available at the time. My brother and my dad both have 64 bit versions, and I'm wondering if I use their DVD to install 64 bit can I use my 32 bit key to activate it. My Dad's win 7 64 bit is also OEM, and my brothers is a full retail version with both 32 and 64 bit included. Any insight would be greatly apprieciated before I take the leap, and find out that I can only install my 32 bit again. Thanks.

Solution
You can use your windows 7 key for both 32 and 64bit versions. Make sure you install the correct version though - for example if you have the 32bit key for home premium, install the 64bit version of home premium.

Windows 7 keys are good for both 32 and 64bit versions.
You can use your windows 7 key for both 32 and 64bit versions. Make sure you install the correct version though - for example if you have the 32bit key for home premium, install the 64bit version of home premium.

Windows 7 keys are good for both 32 and 64bit versions.

Solution

So the keys are not linked to the DVD they came with in any way? Just the version, Home premium in this case? Both my dad's and my brothers are home premium 64bit and mine is 32 bit home premium. They are both OEM versions as well, so that won't matter either?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
As everyone says, you can use the same key. If you buy a retail copy, you get 1 key and 2 DVDs (1 64-bit and the other is 32-bit). You can install whichever. Same logic applies to a non retail version.

There's nothing like a "32-bit key" or anything. keys are not tied to individual DVDs, they're decrypted (sort of) to get a specific result that should be valid (this is done by the software during installation). Install source doesn't matter. Microsoft's database sort of ties the key to your MAC address i suppose, so you can reinstall on the same computer as many times as you want (this is why they validate the key).

Now i'm not sure what i'm saying 100% accurate in the way it's done, but it's how i understand it to work. Regardless, you can use your key without a prob :)

Forgot to mention that this key is specific to a particular version of Windows, so it'll work on Windows 7 HP only. That key's decrypted result is different for different versions. So basically if you use "windows anytime upgrade" and buy a key for win 7 pro, then all windows does is verify the key and unlock more features. May ask you for the dvd to install new features (never tried personally, may be wrong), but that's the process (roughly).

gggirlgeek

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Bumping to let people know I've found an updated list of legit Win7 iso's that you can use your own Activation key on. I am going to try to switch to 64bit using this method. In fact I am going to try and dual boot it using my 32bit Activation key since I've never had a problem with multiple installs on the same machine. We shall see! :)

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html]

Status
Not open for further replies.