Question Using my old HPZ1G2 workstation as a monitor

Dec 7, 2019
I recently got into gaming and bought a PC. Now, I'm trying to use my old workstation as a monitor. I have followed the user manual to the best of my understanding. Also, I bought a DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor as I have spare HDMI cables lying around.
My connection from the workstation, DisplayPort out-> DisplayPort-HDMI adaptor-> HDMI pc. Then I press Ctrl+Shift+S+D (switch display) to enable the workstation to display output from the external graphics source. However, the screen just turns black.
I hope to keep using the HPZ1G2 workstation as my monitor because it is touch screen and has 2560x1440 resolution. I'm currently using window 7, planning on upgrading to unactivated Windows 10? Will it make a difference/help?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
We are going to need more information. Please list the specs to your system which is being used to connect to the HP prebuilt AIO workstation. List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

have you verified that the system you want to connect is in working order and that the AIO is also functioning? If I were you, I'd spruce up the AIO for some boost, if the AIO has room to upgrade and it's functioning.

Dec 7, 2019
CPU+MB: AMD Ryen5 3600 + Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX (rev 1.0)
CPU COOLER: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 200WTDP
GPU: Gigabyte RTX2070 Super Windforce 8Gb OC GDDR6
Ram: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200MHz CL16
SSD: Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe Gen3x4 SSD
HDD: Seagate Barracuda-NEW 2TB
PSU: Corsair RM750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Chassis: Fractal Design Meshify C Blackout TG Casing

The PC has been tested at the workshop when I bought it recently with their monitor. Bought it to play games like Witcher 3, Skyrim and COD.

Model: HP Z1 G2 Touch Workstation
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1226 v3 @ 3.3GHz 3.3GHz
GPU: NVIDA Quandro K2100M
Ram: 8.00GB (7.76GB useable)
System Type: 64 - bit Operating System
I have endured using this workstation for the past year to play Dota 2 at the lowest setting as it is only playable at those settings and do my school work.
If possible I would rather save on buying the PC if I can upgrade the AIO workstation to decent specs to play games and watch Netflix. But I do not know how to upgrade. I do not mind putting the effort to upgrade it if the workstation still has potential.

Personally I think the problem is with the monitor system, possibly cause it is old. Based on their user manual,
"NOTE: This feature relies on the My Display utility, which is subject to change with new software and driver releases. To download the latest software and driver, go to http://www.portrait.com/dtune/hpw/enu/
upgrade_instructions.html." which is no longer in service.
Using the HP Z1 G2 Workstation as a monitor pg 25: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04488657

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019
Does this workstation have HDMI IN?
Looking through the documentation, I'm not seeing it.

If it does not, you can't use this as a 'monitor'.
Using the HP Z1 G2 Workstation as a monitor pg 25: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04488657
The DisplayPort connector on the HP Z1 G2 Workstation is bi-directional and lets you use the workstation as a display for another computer, such as a laptop. The other computer (referred to as the external graphics source) must have a graphics DisplayPort output connector.
I was thinking is it because I am using a DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor that is the cause of this issue? Would purchasing a DisplayPort cable help instead?

Dec 7, 2019
We are going to need more information. Please list the specs to your system which is being used to connect to the HP prebuilt AIO workstation. List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

have you verified that the system you want to connect is in working order and that the AIO is also functioning? If I were you, I'd spruce up the AIO for some boost, if the AIO has room to upgrade and it's functioning.
The system I want to connect has been tested. I do not have the knowledge on how to spruce up the AIO. But I would like to put in the effort if someone can direct me in the right direction. I really like the touch screen function on this 27"inch 2560x1440 workstation.

USAFRet

Titan
The DisplayPort connector on the HP Z1 G2 Workstation is bi-directional and lets you use the workstation as a display for another computer, such as a laptop. The other computer (referred to as the external graphics source) must have a graphics DisplayPort output connector.
I was thinking is it because I am using a DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor that is the cause of this issue? Would purchasing a DisplayPort cable help instead?
"The DisplayPort connector on the HP Z1 G2 Workstation is bi-directional "

Yes. You can only do this with DisplayPort interface.
A DP cable will let you do this.

Dec 7, 2019
"The DisplayPort connector on the HP Z1 G2 Workstation is bi-directional "

Yes. You can only do this with DisplayPort interface.
A DP cable will let you do this.
I went and bought a DisplayPort cable. Unfortunately, it still did not work.
Personally I think the problem is with the system, possibly cause it is outdated. Based on their user manual,
"NOTE: This feature relies on the My Display utility, which is subject to change with new software and driver releases. To download the latest software and driver, go to http://www.portrait.com/dtune/hpw/enu/
upgrade_instructions.html." Which is no longer in service.