Question Using my old SSD as a storage drive on my new computer ?

Nov 15, 2022
I have a new pc with Windows installed on ssd, and i want to use my old ssd from my old computer (which also has Windows installed on it) in my new computer. I have a lot of imporant files on my old ssd. Can i use the old ssd with the new one? And keep my files from the old ssd on my new computer? The old ssd is a m2.

Yes, you can do that.

If you simply reconnect the old SSD, it should appear as drive D, E, or F, etc.

The new SSD should be C.

You could then copy personal data files from the old drive to the new drive.

You shouldn't try to move installed programs. Just personal files.

You can also reformat the old drive anytime you want if have booted successfully from the new drive. Or simply delete whatever you want.

Nov 15, 2022
Yes, you can do that.

If you simply reconnect the old SSD, it should appear as drive D, E, or F, etc.

The new SSD should be C.

You could then copy personal data files from the old drive to the new drive.

You shouldn't try to move installed programs. Just personal files.

You can also reformat the old drive anytime you want if have booted successfully from the new drive. Or simply delete whatever you want.
Thank you very much. I have some more questions if you dont mind. Can i use them both at the same time? i have multiple m2 slots. I want to use my current ssd for windows etc, and the old one for secondary storage on my new computer, while keeping my files on the old ssd in my new system.. does that work? Hope im being clear in my explanations and my english somewhat understandable. again; thank you very much.

Nov 15, 2022
Yes you can use them both at the same time.

In File Explorer, the new one should be C.

The old one should be D, E, or F.

Turn the PC off and connect the old SSD.

Does the PC boot OK?

Does the old drive appear as D?

If not, what happens?
Ill go ahead and try now. Should i delete windows of the old ssd once its in the new computer?

Ill go ahead and try now. Should i delete windows of the old ssd once its in the new computer?

Don't delete ANYTHING until you are satisfied that the new PC works well with the new SSD.

If the new PC does work well with the new SSD, then you can do whatever you want with the old SSD.

Is Windows activated on the new PC with the new SSD? It should be from the factory if you bought a pre-built PC.

You would not need to delete Window from the old SSD.

You would copy whatever you need from the old SSD to the new SSD.

When that is done and everything is working OK, you can re-format the old SSD and use it as a storage drive.

Nov 15, 2022
Don't delete ANYTHING until you are satisfied that the new PC works well with the new SSD.

If the new PC does work well with the new SSD, then you can do whatever you want with the old SSD.

Is Windows activated on the new PC with the new SSD? It should be from the factory if you bought a pre-built PC.

You would not need to delete Window from the old SSD.

You would copy whatever you need from the old SSD to the new SSD.

When that is done and everything is working OK, you can re-format the old SSD and use it as a storage drive.
I've installed the old ssd into a free spot on the motherboard. My computer booted like normal (w11) and i have no issues whatsoever. the ssd from my old pc shows as "Windows (D:). If i copy everything i need from my old ssd on to the new one and then go for a re-format on the old ssd. Does the old ssd still have windows or is it completely blank like a normal ssd? Yes, windows is activated on my new pc, its costum built by a company, so it was preinstalled. thank you so much for all this help and fast reply's.

If you format the old drive, it will have nothing on it.

Not Windows. Not anything.

Windows is entirely on the new drive.

You do NOT want to copy Windows from the old drive to the new drive.

Do not copy installed programs from the old drive to the new drive.

Any programs that were installed on the old drive should be re-installed on the new drive.

Copy only your personal files....pictures, movies, food recipes, Word files, whatever personal files you have.

Nov 15, 2022
If you format the old drive, it will have nothing on it.

Not Windows. Not anything.

Windows is entirely on the new drive.

You do NOT want to copy Windows from the old drive to the new drive.

Do not copy installed programs from the old drive to the new drive.

Any programs that were installed on the old drive should be re-installed on the new drive.

Copy only your personal files....pictures, movies, food recipes, Word files, whatever personal files you have.
Ok, thank you. So i cant copy my DAW (Fl studio) from my old ssd to the new ssd? Im a musicproducer, so its a tons of plugins(dll files), projects, soundfiles etc etc. Im guessing i cant copy the program itself over(the .exe), but im able to have all the files connected to the program copied over? the files are mostly .dll .wav .mp3 and .flp.