[SOLVED] Using my own router

Solution
Verizon may be a slightly different than other ISP.

If you do not have FIOS then ignore everything past here.

If you have a tv plan in addition to your internet they require you to use their router. They use it to get the guide information I think. If you are only getting internet you can not directly replace their router. Not because they have some rule but because they are not using cable modems. The coax connection between the ONT and the router runs MoCA I think.

In both cases you can use your own router if you want but you must request that they activate the ethernet port on the ONT. I am not sure if they still charge you for their router when it is only used for the tv service.
should not matter. i have replaced the generic modems/routers from many internet providers and never had an issue.
if they are called out for any service they may try and charge you for the visit stating that the issue was caused by you not using the default hardware though.

chenjohn274

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
should not matter. i have replaced the generic modems/routers from many internet providers and never had an issue.
if they are called out for any service they may try and charge you for the visit stating that the issue was caused by you not using the default hardware though.
Will they charge my internet bill MORE cuz I'm not using a router issued by Verizon?

If you have a tv plan in addition to your internet they require you to use their router. They use it to get the guide information I think. If you are only getting internet you can not directly replace their router. Not because they have some rule but because they are not using cable modems. The coax connection between the ONT and the router runs MoCA I think.

In both cases you can use your own router if you want but you must request that they activate the ethernet port on the ONT. I am not sure if they still charge you for their router when it is only used for the tv service.

Solution

chenjohn274

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020

Hi, I'm just using it for internet. So I have to call them to activate something? Im new to this

You need to at least read the quick install instructions for your router. All you really do is plug the cable from the wan port on your router to the ONT and it is good to go. BUT you need to setup your admin password and wifi passwords at the very minimum.