XP PRO SP2 Windows Explorer:

I named a few files and saw this sort order that doesn't make sense. Is
this how windows explorer sorts by name? If so, can someone explain the
concept on why "08" is before "01"? Thanks. Mark

08PIAPOP.CMP
08PIAPOP.LSW
08PIAPOP.PMT
018STAND.CMP
018STAND.LSW
018STAND.PMT
028BT_RK.CMP
028BT_RK.LSW
028BT_RK.PMT

It is sorting on the numeric portion first

08 is lower than 018 is lower 028 etc

Try changing 08PIAPOP.CMP to 081PIAPOP.CMP
It will drop to the bottom of the list

It will sort on the number then the text
eg.
08PIAPOP.CMP
08PIAPOQ.CMP
08PIAPOR.CMP

Regards
Mark Dormer

"MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
> XP PRO SP2 Windows Explorer:
>
> I named a few files and saw this sort order that doesn't make sense. Is
> this how windows explorer sorts by name? If so, can someone explain the
> concept on why "08" is before "01"? Thanks. Mark
>
> 08PIAPOP.CMP
> 08PIAPOP.LSW
> 08PIAPOP.PMT
> 018STAND.CMP
> 018STAND.LSW
> 018STAND.PMT
> 028BT_RK.CMP
> 028BT_RK.LSW
> 028BT_RK.PMT

Thank You for clarifying this.
Mark

> Thank You for clarifying this.
> Mark

WinXP changed the sort order vs. earlier versions. I think the new order
makes more sense.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

In addition:

The Sort Order for Files and Folders Whose Names Contain Numerals Is
Different in Windows XP Than It Is in Windows 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319827

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
> XP PRO SP2 Windows Explorer:
>
> I named a few files and saw this sort order that doesn't make sense. Is
> this how windows explorer sorts by name? If so, can someone explain the
> concept on why "08" is before "01"? Thanks. Mark
>
> 08PIAPOP.CMP
> 08PIAPOP.LSW
> 08PIAPOP.PMT
> 018STAND.CMP
> 018STAND.LSW
> 018STAND.PMT
> 028BT_RK.CMP
> 028BT_RK.LSW
> 028BT_RK.PMT

Thank You again Ramesh. I'm use to the 2000 sort order and by following the
instructions in the link you gave, I changed XP default to the 2000 sort
order.

I have a digital piano that creates digital files which assigns the first
two digits of the filename, 01 to 20. It uses dos 8 character filename so
that leaves me with 6 characters to name the files. After saving the files
on a floppy disk, I can view the filenames on the digital piano. Example
"A" is what the sort order looks like on the digital piano. However when I
take the floppy disk and view these in XP it looks like Example "B".

Mark...

A)
018STAND.CMP
028BT_RK.CMP
038_BAL2.CMP
048POPBL.CMP
058BTPOP.CMP
0670_PRK.CMP
0760SPOP.CMP
08PIAPOP.CMP

B)
08PIAPOP.CMP
018STAND.CMP
028BT_RK.CMP
038_BAL2.CMP
048POPBL.CMP
058BTPOP.CMP
0670_PRK.CMP
0760SPOP.CMP

> In addition:
>
> The Sort Order for Files and Folders Whose Names Contain Numerals Is
> Different in Windows XP Than It Is in Windows 2000:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319827
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> XP PRO SP2 Windows Explorer:
>>
>> I named a few files and saw this sort order that doesn't make sense. Is
>> this how windows explorer sorts by name? If so, can someone explain the
>> concept on why "08" is before "01"? Thanks. Mark
>>
>> 08PIAPOP.CMP
>> 08PIAPOP.LSW
>> 08PIAPOP.PMT
>> 018STAND.CMP
>> 018STAND.LSW
>> 018STAND.PMT
>> 028BT_RK.CMP
>> 028BT_RK.LSW
>> 028BT_RK.PMT

You're welcome Mark.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Thank You again Ramesh. I'm use to the 2000 sort order and by following
> the instructions in the link you gave, I changed XP default to the 2000
> sort order.
>
> I have a digital piano that creates digital files which assigns the first
> two digits of the filename, 01 to 20. It uses dos 8 character filename
> so that leaves me with 6 characters to name the files. After saving the
> files on a floppy disk, I can view the filenames on the digital piano.
> Example "A" is what the sort order looks like on the digital piano.
> However when I take the floppy disk and view these in XP it looks like
> Example "B".

TRENDING THREADS