Using old DLink router as switch. Worked fine before. Now doesn't.

Aug 7, 2018
Hi,
I have been using an old D-Link WBR-1310 router as a switch for quite a while, and it worked fine. I just moved it to a new location in my house and have been trying to set it up again. I think I'm doing everything right, but it still doesn't work.
1) Flashed new firmware v2.02 (2007. Yes, very old)
2) Reset router using reset button on back; unplugged; replugged.
3) Plugged cable from LAN port on router to network port on computer.
4) Logged into admin screen using default IP 192.168.0.1
5) Set Wireless configuration. I've been through this several times. I've tried same exact SSID as rest of network; no security. Then different network name, same type of security as primary router. Wireless is definitely broadcasting; I can see the name. I can connect to it with other devices. Just no internet yet, obviously.
6) Set Internet configuration. Set DNS server addresses to 192.168.1.1 (address of main router). Have also tried leaving as 0.0.0.0.
7) Reset IP address to 192.168.1.21. My primary router is 192.168.1.1, with available IP pool 2-254. Originally I had 192.168.1.21 as a reserved IP so it wouldn't get assigned to anything else. Thought that might be the problem; removed that one from the reservation list. Didn't help. Note: I have another old router functioning as a switch right now with IP 192.168.1.20, and it works fine. Its IP address is on the "reserved" list.
8) Turned off DHCP.
9) Rebooted router; connected network cable to another LAN port (not WAN port -- I put tape over that one!) I know network cable is working fine because when I connect it direct to computer I get internet.
10) After all this, wireless signal is broadcast. I can login using the passphrase. But no internet.
11) With network (internet supply) cable connected and short cable connecting DLink to computer, I see "unidentified network" on the ethernet connection, but no internet.

I have tried this now probably upwards of 10 times with minor variations.
When I am connected to the secondary wireless and check the Properties, it shows Network Channel = 1. Other connections are 6 and 153, so no conflict

But there is no IPv4 DNS listed. Only IPV6 DNS address, and it shows as
fec0:0:0:fff::1%1
fec0:0:0:fff::1%2
fec0:0:0:fff::1%3

This seems wrong. The other wireless connections both show IPv4 DNS as 192.168.1.1 (correct)

I have now wasted WAY too much time on this but it has become sort of a quest.
Please help if you have any ideas!
Thanks

Can you ping 8.8.8.8? many routers only allow use of it's dns settings. make sure the client doesn't have anything manually set.

check ipconfig in windows to see if it's pulling info from primary dhcp.

8port switches are like $15 if this isn't worth doing.

Aug 7, 2018
Hi! Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I had already reset the router (again) before I saw your message, so couldn't test for sure. But I found my problem! the router I was using was old enough that it required a crossover cable, and the cable I was using was apparently straight through. Luckily, I have another cable threaded through the walls from the main router to a different room, and as soon as I plugged that one in, I got a wireless signal with internet and the right gateway address.

Just goes to show, TRY ANOTHER CABLE even if the one you are using works with every other device.