Using old hard drive in new models?

BT

I've got a Dim. 4100 that seems to be failing (start-up button needs more than
one or two tries to get going). Is there some way to still use the old original
hard drive as a second drive in a new model Dell or is everything SATA these
days? I don't know anything about this, but would love to be able to keep my
old drive when I get a new computer.

Your help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bob

The 8400 has 2 SATA connectors and one motherboard IDE connector which
is usually taken up by 2 optical drives (DVD and CD or?). If you
ordered it with only one optical drive, you could attach your old hard
drive to the free connector on the cable. Or you could order it with
only one SATA drive and use a SATA>IDE adapter but I've heard that they
are not always reliable. A better idea would be to get a PCI controller
card which goes into an empty PCI slot(if available)on the mb and will
allow you to attach 2 IDE drives. Finally, you could get an external
case ($30-$40) and put your old drive in it. These connect to the
computer by USB or Firewire or sometimes both and would give you an
external hd which is often useful.

Ken

"Kenneth J. Harris" wrote:
> A better idea would be to get a PCI controller
> card which goes into an empty PCI slot(if available)on
> the mb and will allow you to attach 2 IDE drives.

Almost all PCI controller cards have 2 *channels*,
accomodatng 4 drives.

Rick Lowen

External HD enclosure-
http://tinyurl.com/8h6rm

BT schrieb:
> Is there some way to still use the old original
> hard drive as a second drive in a new model Dell or is everything SATA these
> days?

Why not looking at Ebay for an old Dell? I did, and although my 4400 was
3 years old when it arrived, I am still happy with 1,7 GHz. It was quite
cheap, and it has all those old fashioned features - parallel ATA, AGP...

Olaf