[SOLVED] Using old HDD on new mobo and cpu

Aug 3, 2020
Question : Can i just connect my current hard drives into my new motherboard and turn it on? Will it boot up fine or will there be issues, and what kind? Im currently using windows 10 64bit
I read a bunch of threads and responses say it varies with the hardware your swapping with, so here are my specs.

Current Specs: I have a really outdated computer, it runs a AMD FX-8350 cpu and ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z Mobo. Recently got my 1660 super gpu before my other components

New Specs: Im planning on switching to a AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and a ASUS TUF gaming x570-plus Mobo.

I have two HDD 1tb + 2tb. No SSD

Solution
You will have to reinstall windows.

If you try to avoid this, you'll have following issues:
boot mode incompatibility (system doesn't boot);​
drivers incompatibility (crashes, BSODs, underperforming system),​
windows licensing issues (can not activate windows).​
So - get SSD for your new system. No modern pc should be without it.
Perform clean install of windows with only SSD connected.
Only then connect rest of your drives.

Reactions: Factzallday
Solution
win10 can usually boot with complete different hardware, but it can happen that old drivers will slow down the system or registry entries are faulty while using new hardware. So eventually even a bluescreen can happen and won´t boot your new system at all.

I´d recommend to reinstall windows freshly with new hardware, especially motherboard and CPU.

Get a new SSD as well, and install windows to it ;)

Aug 3, 2020
win10 can usually boot with complete different hardware, but it can happen that old drivers will slow down the system or registry entries are faulty while using new hardware. So eventually even a bluescreen can happen and won´t boot your new system at all.

I´d recommend to reinstall windows freshly with new hardware, especially motherboard and CPU.

Get a new SSD as well, and install windows to it ;)
Yeah i ordered a Samsung 1tb ssd on top of the new hardware. Still fairly knew to this, pc was gifted not too long ago.

Reactions: helpstar
Aug 3, 2020

Ok, so when i install a new windows, is there anyway i can connect the old HDD so i dont have to spend hours transferring data. apologies if its a dumb question

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ok, so when i install a new windows, is there anyway i can connect the old HDD so i dont have to spend hours transferring data. apologies if its a dumb question

What kind of data are you talking about?

Your files like spreadsheets and music files and videos, you can connect the HDD and move over. Just make sure boot priority is set to the new hard drive.

Things like programs and their settings, you're going to have to reinstall. One exception is Steam games; once you reinstall Steam (should you use Steam), you can then point Steam to the existing directory on your old hard drive.